This one's made the rounds I've heard, but it's staying with me now: 750XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This one's made the rounds I've heard, but it's staying with me now: 750XL

Charvel 750XL I picked up from Travis. I put in the Distortion Mayhem set, and liked it so much I rewired the thing. I've put in a mega 5 way (the E model from Stew-Mac) so that I can get neck, neck split, 1/2 neck 1/2 bridge humbucking, bridge split, and bridge. I also wired a push/pull DPDT to phase reverse the neck pickup. It only impacts the middle position. With the switch down, the tone is phat. With it up, I get (what they call on the LPF) the "Peter Green" tone. Not 100%, because he was using full hums out of phase, I'm just using the single coil of each out of phase. In this mode, it sounds really good clean, like an acoustic guitar.

Since I'm a metal head, (for the first night anyway) I've just used the neck, middle in phase, and bridge positions. This single coil modes are good for Deep Purple or Jimi.

Anyway, enjoy the pics. Travis posted some already. I'd love to post this on the LesPaulForum, but they don't have an "Other Guitars" section and it would be deleted.

That is a real pretty guitar bro. Congrats!
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Very nice. did you need to replace the humbucker rings to fit the SD's?
      Damn this is an expensive hobby.....

Comment

No. Travis left the rings, and they worked fine with the SD's. I don't know if these rings are original to this axe - it's been around the block a few times LOL!

Comment

Sweet! Nice top on that one, & the wiring mods sound like they'd be badass. These axes are so nice. Even though the prices have come up, I still think very few things out there come close for the money. I've been lucky to get a few nice higher end axes recently, but I can honestly say my 750 is right there and doesn't feel or sound like a step down at all when I play it.

Comment

Congrats! Sweet top on that 750.

Comment

Yep, of my 3 750xl's I've owned that one was the best looking. It and the other Cherry Sunburst one I had were tied for the best playing. They are among the best guitars I've played, and I'm sure one day I'll regret selling them. That one sounded great with the Distoriton pair, and I can only imagine how verstaile that thing is now with the 5 way and the push/pull. Enjoy that guitar, Don. It's a monster.

Comment

Very nice colour, looks like it plays really fast, good pickup choices too!

Comment

Awesome guitar Don ,the 750s rule

Comment

It is truely an incredible guitar. I was playing old school Metallica last night and my tone was dead-on. I pulled out my Fusion w/ EMG81 wired for 18 volts, and it sounded thin compared to the 750XL. My rig is a DSL100 1/2 stack (lead 1 channel, all controls dimed, bass boost on, mid cut on), so maybe if I had a 5150 or a Mesa I might have liked the EMG better, but in my rig, this is the perfect match.

I've asked and Mike B. has asked questions on "what is the ultimate metal guitar", and I think this is it. Similar specs to a Les Paul, but with a fast neck and jumbo frets.

A true beauty to look at; flat sawn hard rock maple top - I can tell by the grain and the "flicks/fleks?" (black streaks of imperfections in the wood).

Unfortunately the looks are it's only downfall LOL! It looks to "nice" to be the ultimate metal axe LOL! I need to score another and do an "evil" paintjob on it LOL!

Comment

Sweet!!! these are the holy grail of shortscale Charvels for sure, who needs a friggin Les Paul when you can buy this baby, plus about a grand left over
                      I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Yeah, Don...that may be the ultimate metal machine! I still need to get one...I probably should have bought this one when I had the chance!!

My current amp rig is more geared towards an '80s metal/EVH type of sound, so my current guitars are oriented that way as well.

However, I am going to put some kind of monster PU in my new project, something of a different flavor....well, maybe.

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Thank you for passing on it LOL! Yep, I've seen your latest stuff - definitely an EVH flavor.

The project I need to finish is a maple body (HEAVY) 2 hum with a Kahler Pro. The neck I have for it is an Aria, but this body doesn't fit the Aria profile (JB Player maybe?)

Anyhow, I might throw some Lynch tigerstipes on it, put in a Distortion Mayhem set, and call it a day LOL!

Comment

I agree. My 750xl is a tone monster and it plays better than my Les Paul plus its got a JT580 on it The best of both worlds. lol mines a keeper for sure.
                            I put a Custo Custom in the bridge and a j50n in th eneck its a perfect match and a dimarzio super switch to split the coils. Aweseom guitars. Gotta be Charvel Japans best kept secret.
                            Gil

Comment

Working...
                            X