My New Model 88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My New Model 88

Here is a cool page with info about the Model 88 http://www.geocities.com/flatlandmusic2002/
    Mike
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to search for one in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarforceone:
        Bodies on those '88's are African Slab Mahogany, or something like that. It's some type of African Mahogany that can no longer be harvested. They had a JT-6 trem and the neck is the same as the other Model series bolt-on necks.
        Dana <~~~
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, it's called African Ribbon Mahogany. As a matter of fact Dana, I have the one you sold me all stripped and ready for a new 'burst to be applied. I also cleaned the neck up and reapplied a charvel decal and recleared the neck. Just needs buffed out now. Hopefully I can get her done soon because she's begging to be played!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dave->
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by guitarforceone:
          Bodies on those '88's are African Slab Mahogany, or something like that. It's some type of African Mahogany that can no longer be harvested. They had a JT-6 trem and the neck is the same as the other Model series bolt-on necks.
          Dana <~~~
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, it's called African Ribbon Mahogany. As a matter of fact Dana, I have the one you sold me all stripped and ready for a new 'burst to be applied. I also cleaned the neck up and reapplied a charvel decal and recleared the neck. Just needs buffed out now. Hopefully I can get her done soon because she's begging to be played!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dave->
          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh...well very cool, Dave!! And then you're going to send it back it me...wasn't that the deal?? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Seriously...I can't wait to see how it turns out.
          Dana <~~~
          '85 Rhoads Custom
          '86 SD Str*t
          '86 Model 4 (5)
          '87 Model 1
          '87 Model 6
          '88 Model 3DR
          '90 650 XL
          '94 KE-3
          '97 DR Amberburst
          '97 Dinky BOFlames
          '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Actually they are made from African mahogany but it's not a true Ribbon mahogany. Ribbon mahogany is a figured variety and though a few of these show a minute amount of figuring it's still not the same imho. If you've ever seen a true "ribbon striped" mahogany piece you'll know what I'm talking about. Still cool guitars though! This is just another good excuse to show off pics of my pair! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] #s 0488 and 0113

[ March 09, 2004, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: mm2002 ]
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
              Actually they are made from African mahogany but it's not ribbon mahogany. Ribbon mahogany is a figured variety. Still cool guitars though! This is just another good excuse to show off pics of my pair! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] #s 0488 and 0113
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry but this time you're wrong my friend. It is indeed African Ribbon Mahogany. Now I guess I'll have to dig out my proof.....where the hell did I put that?

Dave->
              Dave ->

Comment

Mark, go here for some "quick" proof:

Model 88 desription:

Dave->
                Dave ->

Comment

Well, I don't know who called it that but Grover Jackson didn't! Here's a scan of an original COA, argue with this! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] :

Comment

And also, I've actually worked with true "Ribbon Mahogany" and neither one of my 88s are even close.

Comment

Interesting... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Guess I won't argue with that anymore.....at least until I find where I read that it was really "ribbon" mahogany. You win this one!......(for now) [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Dave->
                      Dave ->

Comment

Very nice '88's you have there, Mark. I miss mine sometimes. I also had two, but not as nice as yours.
                        Dana <~~~
                        '85 Rhoads Custom
                        '86 SD Str*t
                        '86 Model 4 (5)
                        '87 Model 1
                        '87 Model 6
                        '88 Model 3DR
                        '90 650 XL
                        '94 KE-3
                        '97 DR Amberburst
                        '97 Dinky BOFlames
                        '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
                          Interesting... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Guess I won't argue with that anymore.....at least until I find where I read that it was really "ribbon" mahogany. You win this one!......(for now) [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Dave->
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well Dave, I guess that makes two of us because I have always thought the 88's were made from Ribbon, too. Anyhow, the coolest Model guiatar out there IMO. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Dave, I'm sure you'll get me back bro! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Fellas, that insert next to the COA is from an old Guitar World with Kirk Hammett on the cover. It is their preview of the Model 88. You can see the page number on the bottom right. Why would that be included with a Jackson COA? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Doesn't make sense.
                              I love my Model 88 - #246

[ March 19, 2004, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Jimmy B ]
                              Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Working...
                              X