Pick up suggestions for a Fusion Deluxe/Predator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick up suggestions for a Fusion Deluxe/Predator

Was wondering if anyone has ideas/suggestions when it comes to replacing the pick ups (H/S).Duncan's or DiMarzio's? And do most folks use a 500k or 250k pot, or just go with a push/pull.
    Thanks in advance. Junior

Re: Pick up suggestions for a Fusion Deluxe/Predator

If I had that setup I might go with a SD Distortion/Hot Rails for extreme metal or perhaps a Custom/Little Screamin Demon for a more open rock tone. I don't really care for true single coils. They just don't fit my sound all that well. I'd like to get a Fusion some day. A Fusion Deluxe or Plus would suit me best.

Comment

I just finished putting new pickups in my Predator - Dimarzio Fred bridge and Protrack at the neck. To my ears it's a great combo.

Note that the majority of the Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan single coil sized humbuckers have that wiring tab extending from the base so they will not fit into a Predator without some modification. I had a small space chiseled out in the pickup route under the finish (by a professional, I'm all thumbs) so the pickup could be angled in. You may also be able to modify the pickup? (anyone done this?) You could also buy the Duncan Cool Rails which doesn't have the tab.

Comment

The Cool Rails is also a really good bpickup (got one in the middle position of my 650). Someone said one time that you might be able to get the Duncan singles made without the tab. But, you'd have to check with Duncan.

Comment

Thanks Guys! The Duncan shop will wind just about any request.But I was wanting to avoid the custom shop fee's. I've been leaning towards a Cool Rails, Quarter Pounder, or maybe go with EMG's.But I was wanting to see what see what ideas y'all might have. The DiMarzio idea might be the solution. The guitar is a Fusion Deluxe (fluorescent orange) that I picked up off Ebay last week, and my daughter has all ready called dibbs.

Comment

I have a 275dlx which is very similar to a Predator. Mine has a Duncan JB and a stacked Charvel single coil. It sounds fantastic. Great for Demartini type tone.

Comment

To stray from the norm, my Predator has Bill Lawrence rail pickups.

A 500XL in the bridge and a single rail in the neck (dunno which number that 1 is).

Through my 5150 it sounds great!

I used a 500K pot for some more sweep (as most do). I wouldn't use a push-pull unless I needed it to fill up a switch hole or make another cool effect.

Either way you go (Duncan / EMG etc.) know that your axe is a Charvel and will always sound great!

Comment

Are you all re-drilling new holes for mounting rings for those that are replacing with Seymour Duncans or Dimarzios?

Comment

Working...
                X