Model 6 Chavel by Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Model 6 Chavel by Jackson

My business partner used to sell Toyotas. His advice: if you are intersted in buying a Toyota, and want a trouble-free vehicle that's built to last, do not buy one built in the USA. Do your homework & find out which models are built here, then avoid them. Buy Japanese, simple as that. With regard to guitars, this has been discussed here many times, but here is my opinion, fwiw. There are people in every corner of the globe with the talent, intelligence, pride in workmanship, and capability to produce top-notch merchandise. However, when a US guitar company sends production overseas, the object of the exercise is always to cut costs and to produce huge numbers. They are looking for the cheapest possible labor, not the best & brightest employees that that particular country has to offer. They are producing these guitars with lower quality hardware & materials. For these reasons, the guitars are going to be inferior to the US-made guitars from that company. Usually extremely inferior. Somehow, for a few years from '86 to the early '90s, Jackson/Charvel managed to buck this trend. It made good economic sense for a brief time to hire & train some excellent people and provide them with good hardware & materials. Like all good things, it didn't last forever.

Comment

i agree with DG, but from the looks of things on this forum, old import charvels rule!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
        ...and regular maple as opposed to quartersawn.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've actually heard on this board that the model 6's used quartersawn maple...

Comment

Originally posted by dg:
          Somehow, for a few years from '86 to the early '90s, Jackson/Charvel managed to buck this trend. It made good economic sense for a brief time to hire & train some excellent people and provide them with good hardware & materials.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Somehow? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] Credit goes to Grover, who travelled to Japan personally to set up the operation.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I don't think any of the import neck-throughs used quartersawn maple. Strictly a USA feature, afaik. Ron's exactly right about why things went the way they did. Grover wanted high quality, regardless of where the guitars were made. Once he left, decisions were more strictly driven by the bottom line. Plus, as many have pointed out, it didn't make good business sense to build the imports so well that they cut into sales of the USA guitars.

Comment

I'd rather take a nice highend japanese guitar then a american. americans are lazy now-a-days [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Mod 6s kick ass.Very high quality guitars,if you don't want it because its not a USA you are NUTS.
                I'd rather pay 400.00 to 500.00 for a nice model 6 than 2000.00 for a USA soloist.BTW the mod 6s have a top mounted floyd so it has a comfortable neck angle.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

My first real guitar was an HM strat-Japanese model with an OFR and a DImarzio Super 3. I have yet to find a guitar comparable to it in it's price range with the exception of the import Washburn Nuno models of the same time period. I also have a Model 4 with a Kahler (which I love) and a Fusion Special, which playability wise is great-still working on the sound. The total I paid for all of these guitars combined would not even come close to a US built. I could probably get one of the new Gibson lower end models, But I say three well made Japanese guitars will give you a much better selection of tones and feel than any single US made axe.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
                    it's price range
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

U.S made guitars are overated [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks Racer. Strangely, I went back and edited that before posting, but it showed up anyway. You keep me on my toes with my possessive pronouns! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

I want to thank everyone for their comments, I have learned alot from you guys. I am not gonna get rid of the guitar, I was just a little upset that I was misslead. BTW for those who asked, I payed $400.00. And it is in mint condition. I'm going to take everyones advise and keep it. Thanks again.

Comment

Cool, man....4 bills ain't bad. Pics?

Also, what store was this?

Comment

I once owned an 86 charvel model 6 and it was a great guitar. I wish I still had it. My advice, don't get rid of it or sell it to me!

Comment

better cars than the US?
                                that's not that difficult I think... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

sure they're cool an everything, but I won't get how you can get that little power out of that big motors...
                                but maybe that's only coz gaz is almoust nothing over there...
                                but US cars still have the best sound I guess.
                                tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Working...
                                X