Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help identifying, I know geting old but..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying, I know geting old but..

I was in a music shop today and found a Charvel Strat. I hesitated to buy it and thought I would seek help here. It has a strat head with S-S-H pick ups, rosewood fret board, single ply pick guard, 1 volume, 1 tone and 5-way switch and standard fender style tremelo. The headstock logo is the older guitar shaped one and the back plate has a 7 digit serial number and just has the guitar shaped logo stamped in it. No reference to were made. I decided to do more research before laying out the money. Any help appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: Help identifying, I know geting old but..

Charvel Model 1C from 86.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

Wouldn't a 1c from 86 have a pointy headstock? A strat-head looking one might be one of those CX or other variants?
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Yeah, somebody missed this part:

Originally posted by Duster71:
        It has a strat head
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Duster71:

It has a strat head ... The headstock logo is the older guitar shaped one
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Correct me if I'm wrong - but neither the model series nor the CX series (or other variants) had a Strat head AND the guitar logo?

Comment

Hmm... "strat head" and the guitar logo would mean mid-late 90's, I would think... a CHS 2 perhaps:

http://www.jacksonmuseum.com/archive...95-chpage6.jpg
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

I am going to go out on a limb here. Couldn't this be a SD reissue STD. Stamped plate, guitar shaped logo on the "strathead" stock, and a 7 digit serial. Did it say made in usa under the charvel logo? I don't recall when they started using the seven digit serial. All of the model series had 6 digit serials. Just something else to think about.

Comment

Hmm, I guess I did miss the Strat-head part. sorry, I was skimming again...

Yes, some of the very early CX models did come with strat heads, but the logos were the Script Charvel logo. The CHS series had the pseudo strathead or the "PC" strat head. (also refered to as the Sears headstock) So to identify it, I guess a picture would definitely go a long way.
                Occupy JCF

Comment

Sorry no pics. I was at a guitar shop about 100 miles from home, but I'm trying to get back there. There was no "Made In" stamped anywhere. It does look like the CHS 2 in the ad link posted, so it is possibly one of those. My identification skills are limited for Charvels.

Comment

then I stand corrected, it is a CHS 2. It's not a bad guitar. I just got one myself...
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

One thing that wasn't brought up, (although I think your guitar has already been identified) is that there are 80's Japanese Charvels with real strat headstocks, but they were not exported to the US. So it is possible to find one here that could have been purchased abroad and brought back to the states. I have a buddy who lives in Japan who is searching one of these out for me right now.
                      Dana <~~~
                      '85 Rhoads Custom
                      '86 SD Str*t
                      '86 Model 4 (5)
                      '87 Model 1
                      '87 Model 6
                      '88 Model 3DR
                      '90 650 XL
                      '94 KE-3
                      '97 DR Amberburst
                      '97 Dinky BOFlames
                      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yes, I had it in my mind to buy more than one, actually. But probably not for selling. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                        Dana <~~~
                        '85 Rhoads Custom
                        '86 SD Str*t
                        '86 Model 4 (5)
                        '87 Model 1
                        '87 Model 6
                        '88 Model 3DR
                        '90 650 XL
                        '94 KE-3
                        '97 DR Amberburst
                        '97 Dinky BOFlames
                        '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Originally posted by guitarforceone:
                          One thing that wasn't brought up, (although I think your guitar has already been identified) is that there are 80's Japanese Charvels with real strat headstocks, but they were not exported to the US. So it is possible to find one here that could have been purchased abroad and brought back to the states. I have a buddy who lives in Japan who is searching one of these out for me right now.
                          Dana <~~~
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Right on Dana...that is always the stump the band type of things around here...there are strat head charvels out there that are not USA made. Have your buddy buy a couple of them [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'll take one
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                          X