Jackson mid-boost circuit with EMGs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson mid-boost circuit with EMGs?

In general, i've noticed people either keep their Model 4-6 guitars either stock with the original pickups and electronics, or switch the pickups to EMGs. When using EMGs, do you continue to use the jackson circuit, or is it removed? Can you use the circuit with EMGs? For those of you who have used both the Jackson mid-boost and the comparable EMG SPC, how do they compare?

My quandry is this - I like the Jackson pickups and the mid boost but I like EMG pickups too. However, I like the option of dialing in the mid boost on the single coils for extra grunt. My options:

1. Keep it stock - OK, it sounds good as is.

2. Switch to EMGs with no boost circuit.

3. Switch to EMGs with the Jackson boost.

4. Switch to EMGs with the EMG SPC boost.

Any ideas?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Re: Jackson mid-boost circuit with EMGs?

Try all the possiblities and go with what you think is best. This is time consuming, you'll need at least a week with the guitar at the different set ups to really tell. Plus, tone with the band and tone in the bedroom alone are two entirely different things. Having said that, the active Jackson circuits work great with ANY pickup, EMG actives or not. You can even run the pickups off the same battery as the circuit. I'd leave it as is, those Jackson pickups with their own circuitry are cool.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

why would you mess with perfection? leave it as it is.

Comment

I agree, leave it as is. You could spend a lot of money only to find that you were better off where you started. Those pickups with the active electronics are very good!!

Comment

Are the Jackson pickups actually active or passive? I was under the impression that they are passive with a preamp midboost circuit. If they are passive then any pickup could be placed in there correct?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by crilf:
            Are the Jackson pickups actually active or passive? I was under the impression that they are passive with a preamp midboost circuit. If they are passive then any pickup could be placed in there correct?

Thanks
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes sir, you are correct [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dave->
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by crilf:
              If they are passive then any pickup could be placed in there correct?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I guess the intent of my original question was how do EMGs sound with the midboost circuit. I still have the stock pickups in, and they are great. But what's the point of having a guitar and a soldering iron if your not messing with it?
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Cool! I just got a model 5 yesterday and I'm gonna go ahead and start tinkering with it. Although I am surprised at how good the stock pickups sound!

Comment

I just got a set of emg's for my 475 dlx because, mid boost or not, I think the j-50c humbucker sounds like crap. Although the single coils don't bother me. It seems to me that the emg David Gilmour set has a mid boost in one or two positions. Time to check out the emg website again! Good luck with your project!
                  Ryan

Comment

Does anybody know which wires on a Duncan match up with which on the Jackson J-80C? They have the same colors (red, white, black, green, and bare ground) but I just want to make sure they all match up correctly.

Comment

The red and white are the same. But the black and green are reversed. This info can be found at projectguitar.com and guitarelectronics.com. The second website has a lot of factory schematics for many different guitars, although most of it is for fender and gibson.

Comment

Thanks rgto!

Comment

Working...
                        X