Model 6 woe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 woe

So I managed to bag a Model 6 for a nice price, eagerly took delivery, opened the case to find a woeful sight! The case was just an oblong generic thing, not a fully fitted affair, and thus 7 or 8" longer than the guitar. The seller hadn't packed the space, so inevitably once the couriers started playing football with it, it moved backwards and forwards inside......
    Result - one guitar with the tip smacked off the headstock, and cracked along the bottom edge of the binding.
    Also, the trem arm had got loose and had been bouncing around inside, beating the crap out of the paintwork.

My first thought was to send it back, then I thought I'd just have a little play on it..........bad move! It played reeeeally well, so after the seller agreed to refund some cash, I've kept it.

Sooooooo, where to from here? Obviously to get the tip glued back on, and then I think it might be a good candidate for a re-finish. It will be the kind of re-finish done by my mate the car painter in 2 pack so it could end up being a pile of crap, but I'm going to give it a whirl anyway!

One thing I am really keen on, is to have the Charvel logo on the headstock as it once was. However, as you can probably see from the pics here, it has been damaged, and is going to need painting as well once the repair is done. How can I get that logo back on there? I'm thinking of getting a local graphics firm to copy the logo onto a piece of black vinyl, then laying it over the headstock and laquering over it. What do you reckon? Good idea, or total bollocks??? Is there an easy way to get that all-important (to me anyway) logo back onto the headstock?

Anyway, let the madness begin......................

http://k.1asphost.com/Hairbear/DSC_0015.JPG
    http://k.1asphost.com/Hairbear/DSC_0002.JPG
    http://k.1asphost.com/Hairbear/DSC_0012.JPG
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Oh man, gutted for you. There a US site that do the logo graphics for a good price that I've seen people on here use before. I'll try and didg out the link for you.
    www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Send it back, it's the seller's responsibility for safe and secure shipping/handling. I recommend contacting the seller immediately. Good luck!

Comment

Dude that sux. I agree with Razor send it back. I feel your pain I don't have a Model 6 yet and that would kill if that happened to me.
        Just one more guitar!

Comment

That really sucks that your guitar arrived like that. I know if I was waiting in anticipation and found that.....I'd be very pi$$ed! Anyway, you asked about headstock decals. Try this site:

I used them for my decal on my "repro" strat head neck. Here is how it turned out using their decals:

I think it turned out really well. The vinyl is so thin you can barely see it when it's applied, so clearcoating it would be very easy. Good luck with it!
          Guitars:
          Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
          1988 Model 2,
          Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
          RR3
          Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
          2005 SG Special

Comment

Insurance pay for a repair?
            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

thats not a bad break at all...a little ugly tho.. should be fixable.

Comment

Charvelguy is right, it's horrific when you first see it, but on closer inspection, it's not toooooo bad!
                Apart from the tip which has actually broken off, the wood isn't cracked, it's the paint and binding which is damaged along the bottom of the headstock, so it will be OK with a spot of work, and it certainly doesn't affect the playability of the guitar, it's ferocious!!

The seller was cool about it all, did offer to take it back, or refund some cash, and I chose the latter. I know he flogged it to get some cash back for a Soloist so who knows, he might be a regular here!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I feel for you, I had the same thing happen to my 475. You were luckier than me though, look what happened to my Charvel during shipping:

-Janne

Comment

Man, that sucks, Rsmacker! That's what happened to my Warrior Pro! I didn't think I needed to school the seller on packing - now I know better!

Who is your seller?
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Looks very similar to the example I posted of my PS2 (also eBay in UK), except mine was definitely not damaged in postage (the tip of headstock was broken off by previous owner…not stated in his eBay adv.). But in my case the annoying part was that impact had caused the fretboard to crack away slightly from neck at the nut … that pointy Jackson headstock is clearly susceptible to knocks on the tip, but when you get a knock like that it will flex the neck & put stress on the fretboard – maybe worth having a close look at the edge of your fretboard near the nut, just check that isn’t cracked.

Ian.

Comment

How much did you pay for it. If it was a lot I'ld send it back. If it was insured than check it out or maybe he'll give you some reinbersment$.

Comment

LOL jtr, did you read my post????!! Maybe it just took a little while for your reply to appear on the board!

Actually, it wasn't at all expensive, and it already had been through the wars a little. Had it been a minter I would have been choked, but I knew it already had some nice smacks and dings out of the body finish. The pic from the listing (below) shows the crack along the binding on the headstock, though it was described as being "finish damaged in places due to use". I hadn't picked up on the pic, and in actual fact, had it not had the smack in transit, I would have probably tossed it back!! Now it needs the tip re-gluing, the whole thing might as well be stripped and refurbed. Let's call it a project!

I'm just glad it fared better at the hands of Parcel Farce (for non-Brits, they are the more brutal side of the Royal Mail) than some of the guitars you chaps have had shipped, I swear those retards at the courier depots deliberately see if they can smash other peoples' pride and joy. I realise they aren't the sharpest knives in the tray and paid peanuts but you'd think they'd have enough pride in their work to ensure that obviously fragile items get to their destination intact? Perhaps it's just me!

Sooooo, anyhow, there's got to be a masterclass on stripping old finishes and prepping bodies for painting on here somewhere hasn't there? Any pointers welcome, ta!

http://k.1asphost.com/Hairbear/char3.jpg

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Oh yeah. there's plenty of 'how to repair this' in the forum..just have to hit the proper key words or have Ron look about for ya. I'm pretty certain this type of repair has been discussed within the past few years in great depth.

Comment

I'd keep it.

Comment

Working...
                              X