Question about Charvel Legend pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Charvel Legend pickups

I just got a Legend today from a board member (thanks beachjammer). So far it's very cool. I am constantly amazed at how cheap Charvel/Jackson guitars sell for.

Anyhoo...

I'm not sure about the pickups in this thing. They sound OK - kind of dark and un-Tele sounding. That's fine but what is annoying is the middle position has a drastic volume drop. So clearly they are mismatched phase-wise. I'm assuming these aren't the original pickups. What should be in this thing?
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Re: Question about Charvel Legend pickups

Hey Tim~
    Originally, the Model 7's and Legends had J-100 single coils in them. I have never noticed a voloume change on mine in the middle position. I'll plug her in this morning and see if it's common of the electronics or an isolated case.

Comment

Well I swapped the pickups out the other day and like it a lot better now. In the neck I put a Duncan Quarter Pound Strat pickup and in the bridge I put a Duncan Hot Rails. This thing sounds very cool now - not much like a Tele but that wasn't the point (I've got two other traditional Teles).

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim:
        I just got a Legend today from a board member (thanks beachjammer). So far it's very cool. I am constantly amazed at how cheap Charvel/Jackson guitars sell for.

Anyhoo...

I'm not sure about the pickups in this thing. They sound OK - kind of dark and un-Tele sounding. That's fine but what is annoying is the middle position has a drastic volume drop. So clearly they are mismatched phase-wise. I'm assuming these aren't the original pickups. What should be in this thing?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had the same deal with mine. That mid pos. is not the best and I thought it was just f-up'd. Good to know that it is fine, just that it sucks.
        ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Originally posted by ABSOLUT CHARVEL:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by hippietim:

Anyhoo...

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had the same deal with mine. That mid pos. is not the best and I thought it was just f-up'd. Good to know that it is fine, just that it sucks. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It is f-up'd if you are experiencing the same thing I was. The problem was that the phase of the pickups were mistmatched. There's not much you can do to correct it with single coils except to replace one or both. I seriously doubt that you have both stock pickups. In my case it appears that the neck pickup is a stock Jackson J-100. The bridge pickup was replaced with a Duncan vintage Tele pickup.

My solution was just to replace both since I didn't want a traditional Tele sound out of it anyhow.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
          X