Charvel 6 tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel 6 tuning

Purchased a model 6 2 months ago, feels great, plays great, but if I attached tremolo bar and use it, the guitar doesn't go back into tune. When I pull back the Floyd bridge with the tremolo bar it goes back in tune for the time being, then slowly creeps flat again. Is there a specific type maintainence I need to do to the bridge or does anyone have any problem thats similar and what would I need to do to correct it. Spring tension seems fine and the bridge does come back, but not to where its fully in tune. I'm using .010's so it shouldn't be too much tension. [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Re: Charvel 6 tuning

How old are the strings? Are the locking blocks locked all the way down at the bridge?
    Occupy JCF

Comment

Check the knife edges on the trem and the two posts for the trem. If they are worn it will not return to pitch.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Strings are brand new. I just recently had it set up at a guitar shop. They lost one of my string lock plates, (which I found in the truss rod groove. I had to replace my high E string with an .011 because it wouldn't hold the .010 that was in there. I'll check out the knife edges tonight, but I was thinking of just dismantling the whole bridge, clean it and put it back together.

Comment

The first thing i'd check like StukaJU87 said , is the knife edges and the posts. if they look alright then the next thing is the string lock plates , Are the grooved on the under side?If they are you can rotate them 90 degrees.so the grooves go across the strings. that might help.

Comment

Worn nut can also be origin of your troubles. Put some pencil lead dust on the grooves and see if it helps. New graphite nut could be the cure.

Comment

if it is the original JT6 tremolo I know the problem, the posts on mine were fine, the knives were as blunt as one can get it -> it won't get in tune. I replaced straight with a schaller floyd. You might consider that as well...

harrald

Comment

Are your strings stretched enough? When putting on new strings, tune up to pitch, bend the hell out of the strings and yank them off the board, tune back up to pitch, repeat the process over and over until you can't pull them out of tune, then lock the nut and use the fine tuners accordingly.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Toejam offers the first and easiest solution-unless you seriously stretch the strings before locking down the nut, they will go flat after a few seconds of playing.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, I'll try them all out until I find it.

Comment

I do need a little help in identifying what a knife edge looks like, maybe a schematic or a picture of what I'm suppose to checking. I'm not sure what it's suppose to look like before/after, if it is worn. As simple as it may sound, this is a totally new bridge system for me

Comment

Knife Edges are the part that connects with the Pivot Screws (studs)...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...and_Parts.html
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

A JT6 with OK knife edges (buttom view):

A JT6 with worn knife edge (buttom view):
                          Henrik
                          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Couldn't ask for a better picture. Excellent. Thank you very much

Comment

If the edges are in fact worn and I needed to replace the bridge, what would be an ideal replacement? I've seen many different types of Floyd Rose bridges, Kahler. Would any Floyd fit? The guitar is a 1987 Mod 6 with a Floyd Rose (JT-6)in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X