Spring tension on Mod 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring tension on Mod 6

It varies from guitar to guitar depending on several factors. String guage and tuning being two of them. The best way to figure out how to set your tremolo would be to throw a set of strings on it and adjust the tremolo until it is perfectly parallel to the body.
    Occupy JCF

Re: Spring tension on Mod 6

Got it. Been scanning Floyd tips sites and got the idea how a floating bridge works, using the push/pull tension between the strings and springs. Thanks
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

That's basically it. Floyd setups are basically zen in nature. You have to find the ying of the string and the yang of the spring.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by DonF:
        When I removed back plate it looked like prior owner replaced spring tension screws with deck screws.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Were they black screws? I had a Model 6 with screws like that, and I thought someone changed them. I then got a Model 5A with the same screws. I guess that's what they originally used back then.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Spring tension on Mod 6

Was Taking apart JT6 tremolo this weekend, checked knife edges, looked good. As I was doing it, I took the bridge completely apart, cleaned it up, started to put it back together. Had a little problem with spring tension. When I removed back plate it looked like prior owner replaced spring tension screws with deck screws. The claw plate for the springs doesn't slide easily. It gets caught up on the threads. Now I'm not sure if it even has anything to do with it. Also while attaching the springs from the claw plate to the block, they were very tight. So tight that they snapped off the block , which caused the bridge to drop out from the guitar face (since guitar was upside down). Result was bridge hit the floor and cracked one saddle (one of those lessons learned). When reinstalling the bridge tension springs (no strings attached yet), what is the correct tension for them at the onset?

Comment

No, they were green deck screws that had no smooth surface for the claw plate tosit on. So the claw plate would not sit straight unless you manually pulled them up against the screw heads. I ordered the correct screws online several days ago. You can see a 1/4 to 1/2 inch smooth section right below the screw head where the claw plate sits.

Comment

Working...
            X