No announcement yet.

Introducing Myself And My New Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the Forum and the wealth of knowledge that it affords Nice color guitar by the way.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Doesn't look like an Ibanez body at all.

First thing I thought when I saw it was "Kramer" but it doesnt really look like that either. Moreso than an Ibanez body.

Honestly, I think it looks like a Charvel CX series series body thats had the tremolo recessed and the edges shaved round, and a locking nut added to the neck.

The neckplate is weird to, because it just says "Charvel" on it, and it doesnt have the "Ft. Worth TX PO Box ect" stuff on it.

Definately not a factory finish!

Comment

I think I may have found a match. A Japan-only model, AR-090-SSH:

http://www.jacksonguitar.org/gall/gall131.html

They made all kinds of crazy stuff for the Japanese market, so never say "no way..." or "definitely not a...", because you usually end up saying

Here's another one in white, with specs listed:

http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~t-oz/gui...lect/ar090.htm
        Last edited by dg; 09-07-2006, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Looks like DG nailed it.

As for Charvel neckplates with no address, that was the norm for 90-92 import Charvels. I have 2 Fusions from that period which have plates with no address.

Comment

Ahhhh dg you legand! Thanks for the help dude, it looks like you found a match!!! Now i can actually tell people what kind of guitar i have hehe

One thing, i havent really come across any guitars made from "Yellow Poplar" so thats a new thing to me. Anyone kno much about this type of wood? what tones its good for ?

Comment

Yellow poplar is the same as plain old poplar as far as I can tell. It is a balanced-toned wood similar to alder, but it is a little bit heavier and a little softer than alder. It has a greenish-gray color, so you won't see it in trans-finish guitars. J/C has used it a lot over the years, especially in the body wings of neckthroughs. Charvel Model 5 & 6, 650XL, early '90s Jackson Professional Soloists, King Vs, and Kellys all had poplar body wings. Some of the early USA neckthroughs did too.

Comment

Poplar was actually Grover Jackson's favorite wood for building guitars!
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/option..._bodywoods.cfm
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Poplar is really similar tone to alder, in my experience a bit thinner, from the guitar i played.

Comment

Welcome to the JCF! Now that you own one charvel, your going to keep buying more of them. It's a sickness! Now I need some aspirin.

Comment

Hah yer, i really think i will get more charvel's. I would love one like Steve Vai's Green Meanie. Might try and make one if i can find the parts.

On another note. The stock pickups for the Pink beast arnt too hot so im going to upgrade, This is the set up i have set out if anyone has opinions

Its a SSH guitar so

Bridge DiMarzio HS-3
                        Middle DiMarzio HS-2
                        Neck DiMarzio Paf Pro

I didconsider Cruisers in the bridge and middle but hmmm!

Comment

Working...
                        X