New guy with some tech q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy with some tech q's

I have been lurking for bit...Soaking it all in...
    I was a big Lynch emulator back in the 80's owned a bunch of Charvels through my tenure of various bands...Fast forward 20 years of non-playing, wife, family, kids etc.
    Now I have taken up playing again...Purchased a Charvel and a Jackson recently.
    Here is my quandry the 1988 Model 1C I recently acquired from the 'Bay has some neck/fretboard issues.
    The maple fretboard has pulled away from the neck 1st fret to 2nd fret.
    Being a savvy and an avid d.i.y. guy with everything in life, I repaired it by cleaning the 2 surfaces where the fretboard joins to the neck, gluing it and setting it in a press.
    The repair came out very well superficially, but now I have violent buzz on several open strings. I believe that glue made a .5mm shim between the neck and the fretboard, hence the buzz. The first several frets also have some good wear.
    Looking at the neck I also suspect some slight back-bow...For the life of me I can not find a 7mm truss rod wrench anywhere. Eventhough I don't feel this will provide any relief to the buzz issue, I figured on trying...
    The main question, since the body is in great shape, what later model neck will interchange with the original Charvel?
    If any inexpensive Jackson PS/JS series necks are a direct interchange I'd pick an entire guitar up for the neck for the Model 1C.
    Any input?
    Thanks!

Welcome to the JCF!

First things first: Don't give up on the neck until you get a wrench and give the neck a little relief. The low-fret buzz you are describing is a classic symptom of a neck that is either too straight or a little backbowed. If adding a little relief doesn't solve the problem, I'd take it to a good tech & have him do the necessary fret work. Sure, it's an import, but Model 1 necks are great & well worth the effort to get corrected, imo. If it turns out that it's beyond repair, my first choice would be to grab another Model Series neck on eBay. They can usually be had for a reasonable price. Model 1 necks can get a little pricey, because there are less of the maple-boarded necks around, and they're very popular for projects. Good luck!

Comment

Those necks are awesome. Most techs will sort out the problem you are having if you are not comfortable adjusting the truss rod yourself.

Comment

I totally agree with what dg said. 1st, try loosening the trussrod...and use a trussrod...don't try cramming a crescent wrench or whatever's handy or the bolt will likely strip!

If it's still buzzing like crazy on the open strings and there's a decent amount of relief on the neck, it's possible the string grooves in the nut have worn down enough that it needs to be addressed....by getting a new nut, removing and shimming the old nut, or filling in the grooves of the old nut to get enough height. I've done this last thing using 2 part epoxy with good results.

BTW, I think the necks is what makes the Model series so grand!

Good luck and welcome to the JCF!
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Here's where you can find the truss rod tool you're looking for. If I'm not mistaken, the truss rod tool for my Charvel Model 2 is a 5/16.

http://www.allparts.com/categories.p...ROD%20WRENCHES

Comment

I just bought a very cheap metric socket driver set when my Charvel 5A came without the truss rod wrench.

I think MIJ Charvels are all metric? I live in SE Asia, so it's the imperial stuff that's hard to find here. Gettng a 1/4" driver for my Rickenbacker was close to impossible. Fortunately the handle for one of those cheap multi headed screwdriver things was the correct size or I'd still be looking.
            Model 3
            Model 5A
            Model 3B
            Journeyman
            Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

Working...
            X