Waiting is hard....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting is hard....

Scored a Model 4. Black. Supposed to be in pristine shape. Orig owner.With a hard case. Only flaw is missing the trem arm. Waiting for delivery.
    What years did they make the model 4? How are the stock pickups?

I have no personal experience with a Model 4,so I have little comment there,but the trem arm I can help you with.

http://fretsonthenet.com/
    Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose
      Scored a Model 4. Black. Supposed to be in pristine shape. Orig owner.With a hard case. Only flaw is missing the trem arm. Waiting for delivery.
      What years did they make the model 4? How are the stock pickups?
      1986 model was equipped with the Kahler tremolo,and the 1987/1988 models had the Jackson JT-6 tremolo. I found Henrik's catalog scans, so it looks like the humbucker was a J50BC. I know that the middle and neck singles were J200's and these are actually stacked humbuckers in a single coil housing. The pickups were not active, but they were designed to work with the active electronics, which I think was the JE-1200.

Congrats on the score. Model 4's are great guitars.

Alvin
      Last edited by Alvin_Wilson; 09-12-2006, 07:04 PM.
      MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Thanks for the info! I have used Fretsonthenet for other stuff and he is great! Was already going to go there.

Alvin, great info!!
        This one has the Jackson trem. I knew the pups werent active, even tho most of the ebay ads say they are.. LOL Im anxious to try the mid boost.
        Im hoping it works with other pickups too in case I dont care for the stockers..
        Any idea what body wood it is? Seems like I recall poplar being used alot by Jackson in those days.
        I have a DK2. How will the Model 4 compare??

Comment

general rule with the bolt-on Models is that they were basswood. Although you find some anomalies, like the mahogany Model 88 & the trans-finish Model 7, the body wood of which I can't remember right now

You'll find the body of the Model 4 bigger than your DK2, and the neck shorter

Otherwise, great necks & an excellent guitar for the money. I have several Model series guitars. And they have plenty of fans on this forum.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG
            the trans-finish Model 7, the body wood of which I can't remember right now
            Ash, IIRC

ha-HA!
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I was going to take a stab at ash, since the trans Fusions were, but as soon as I said "ash" someone would've corrected me with alder or something
              Hail yesterday

Comment

I figured the body would be bigger than the DK2 , but why is the neck shorter??

Comment

22 frets instead of 24 frets.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Hey BloodRose, does your Model 4 have sharkfins or dots?

Alvin
                    MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Should have sharks if it's a Jackson JT-6 trem. Only the Kahlers had pearl dot inlays on the Model 4...
                      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                      Gotta get away from here.
                      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk
                        22 frets instead of 24 frets.
                        Duh! I missed the obvious.

Yes, she has sharkfins..

Was gonna post the ebay linky, but not sure if that will violate a rule..

Comment

Your gonna love the model 4. Some people don't like the jackson pickups, I personally do. I have an 86 model 6 that has those pickups in it and I will never change them. Just to warn you the bridge pickup is bigger then all other pickups. If you change it out the pickup and keep the ring you will have space in the ring or with a new ring you will be able to see screw holes on the body. Just an FYI.
                          Was gonna post the ebay linky, but not sure if that will violate a rule..
                          You can post the ebay link. You can't post prices from our sponsors.

Comment

I checked ups tracking and the guitar is in town!! Gotta wait till tommorrow..

I hope I love the pups as I can swing the bills to change em. hee hee. However, Im picky and change pups on everything..
                            Thanks for the heads up on the size! If Im not mistaken, dave at fretsonthenet makes pickup rings that are little bigger for this purpose.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Tell me if I did good!!
                            I love my Jackson, but it isnt the same as the old charvel I had. Had one from 88 or 89. Cant recall the model. Had a Bucker and slant single. And was the first one to come to my city with the upside down headstock. Candy red.. sweet.. So finally I can scratch my charvel itch..

Comment

you are correct, Dave makes a ring expressly for that purpose.

Looks like you done good.

Your old guitar sounds like a Model 3DR, if it had the 'old' logo, and a Predator if it had the toothpaste logo
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X