Just picked up a Model 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just picked up a Model 1

My first post here , I just picked up a Charvel Model 1 at a pretty good price. I told my wife it would be a great guitar for my niece and nephew to play and not have to mess with my guitars that shouldn`t be touched by young children with greasy little hands. That was partly true but of course I wanted an affordable axe. I rasied the action a bit screwed the claw in so the trem rests flat on the body and I`ll be damn this guitar plays very good and stays in tune fairly well. I planned on ditching the stock pickup for a Seymour Duncan but I`m undecided against the Blues Trembucker or Screamin Demon(I like lower output pickups). I also planned on some locking tuners and a graphite nut. I also wanted to pickup some Graph Tech string saver saddles. Their website lists a couple sets for MIM and American Strats and I`m wondering which set might fit on Strat style trem that the Model 1 has , and ideas? Oh , I`m assumimg the body of the Model 1 is basswood? Thanks and Take Care!

Sounds to me like you really want to play this axe yourself! C'mon dude, don't use the kids as an excuse.......your hands are just as greasy as theirs sometimes I'm sure, and you'll probably find that the 'ol model 1 outplays a good percentage of the axes you already own.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Congrats. Looks pretty minty. I wouldn't bother with the string saver saddles unless you have massive string breakage problems. These vintage trem bridges sound pretty good as if. Even if you do find youself breaking at the bridge, there's things you can do. But I digress -

I dig the Screamin' Demon a lot - I have it in two of my axes. In my Model 1A I use a Duncan Distortion - I find it sounds really gnarly with the basswood body - lots of cut and grind - glassy. The Demon I have in a basswood body is ok but it sounds better in mahagony to my ears.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Nice Model 1! You'll find a lot of JCF'ers think pretty highly of the Charvel Model series.

If I were you, I'd shell out a $129.99 each and get the nephew and neice a Ibanez Gio Mikro. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ez-?sku=518875

Then you can crawfish on your wife and keep the Model 1.

Comment

Ha Ha ,Thanks for all the gear and family advice. My wifes no dummy , she`s knows the axe is mainly for me As far as pickups the Duncan Distortion did also catch my interest as I love that old George Lynch tone , glad to hear someone likes it with basswood.

Comment

Congrats! The Model 1 is a nice guitar. In fact it's my only Charvel. You can't go wrong replacing the stock pickup. I had a Duncan Custom Custom and a DiMarzio Super 3 in mine.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Hey nice axe! Looks kinda like the one I just snagged! This is my first Charvel aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory View Post
                Hey nice axe! Looks kinda like the one I just snagged! This is my first Charvel aswell.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/...Picture075.jpg
                Yep , they look like twins These are really nice playing bang for the buck guitars. I wish I would have bought a couple a few years back when I had the $$$.

Comment

I had one of these, years ago. Great, no-frills guitar. Nice catch.
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

Definately keep it a way from the kids.The prices seem to be going up on the model 1s on ebay.

Comment

I should have it back on Saturday with a fresh setup and a few other upgrades. Can`t wait!

Comment

I got a new Seymour Duncan Blues Trembucker installed in the Model 1 and it sounds really nice. I`m glad I went with it as it`s got a thick somewhat compressed tone and sounds great under gain. I also replaced the stock saddles and vol. pot with a new 500k and installed some Sprezel locking tuners.I also sanded down the glossy finish on the back of the neck to give it more of a raw wood fee. All that and a setup done by someone that knows what their doing(not myself)and this guitar plays and sound killer. Dare I say it plays as nice as my two other guitars that cost me in the 1k range.

Last edited by WarrenLeeLynch; 10-28-2006, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Nice!!!!, I was thinking of getting one of those as a backup for my floyd guitar - I currently have a cheap BC rich 1 hum fixed bridge that plays great but I'm afraid to bring it any where because of it's EVIL warlock shape!!!!!!

Comment

oh man.. i love these guitars, red and maple rocks.. i guess the trem is similar to a strat? is there a similar charvel model with a floyd?

Comment

Just like the one I got. Even the tuners are identical, Sperzel locking tuners.

Comment

Working...
                              X