Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAS attacked me again today!

Hi All,

Found an unbelievable deal today at Guitar Center. I had seen this Charvel 375 my last few visits there, it had a price tag of $299 on it. I thought it was a decent deal, it was in pretty good shape, and the neck felt great. Just like my Model 2. Well, today I went in and they were clearing out all their used and demo guitars by the front door. I look at all the guitars and there it was, with the price changed to $139!! It was against my better judgement to walk out without this one. GAS attacks once again, but this time without putting too bad a dent in my wallet.

When I got it home, I did the usual, took it apart and cleaned it up. To my surprise, the only problem I encountered was that the humbucker, even though it said jackson on the cover, was really a no name pickup that was pig-tail wired in with the Jackson cover stuck on top. It was being held in the ring by one regular screw/spring and also one very large wood screw! Anyway, I happen to have a Jackson bridge pickup from my Model 2 lying around (replaced by an EMG) so I put it in. All said, it was in very nice shape, a few dings but nothing bad and a neck that was perfectly straight and felt real nice (just like my model 2 which I just love!) I strung it up and it sounds real nice. I'm having fun with it tonight. I think I will change the pickup eventually. I'll have to get one of those "conversion" pickup rings from "Frets-on-the-Net" and drop in a Dimarzio Super Distortion. I can't wait (I will, though.....until Christmas.)

So here it is: (by the way.....the color is actually Magenta, sort of a pink-ish purple.)

Guitars:
    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
    1988 Model 2,
    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
    RR3
    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
    2005 SG Special

hey cool! That's a nice price. And I like the colour. Last couple I've seen around here were trans yellow and they didn't do much for me, but it's much nicer in a solid colour
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks, the photos DO NOT do it justice. The color is an awesome pinkish color. I've always wanted a purple guitar and being it's a metallic color, the light keeps shifting it from pink to purple. It's really cool. I still can't believe the price. I almost bought it last month when I first saw it but something told me not to....now I know why!!!
      Guitars:
      1988 Model 2,
      RR3
      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
      2005 SG Special

Comment

Congrats on a great deal man! 375's are excellent guitars for the price!
        I'm sure you're gonna have many years of fun with this one!

BTW, what does GAS stand for? Going ApeShit?
        My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Comment

Originally posted by MortenP View Post
          BTW, what does GAS stand for? Going ApeShit?
          Gear (Guitar) Acquisition Syndrome.

Read about it here:

Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider View Post
            Gear (Guitar) Acquisition Syndrome.

Read about it here:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61435
            Again, sorry for not searching the forums - I'll try to get better at it!
            My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Comment

Originally posted by MortenP View Post
              Again, sorry for not searching the forums - I'll try to get better at it!
              That's okay, then again, you kinda described my reaction when I saw the lower price! (I went ape-shit!!!)
              Guitars:
              1988 Model 2,
              RR3
              1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
              2005 SG Special

Comment

Great deal there man! Nice axe!
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Great score! Looks like it cleaned up real nice. Enjoy the new axe!

Comment

Sounds like you got a great deal on a very cool guitar. Do let us know how it sounds when you put the Super Distortion in it. I`ve you decide to swap out the singles the Dimarzio Crusier is a nice single coil sized pickup.

Comment

No shit. Great snag.
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Thanks all for the comments. I'll probably wait until Christmas to get the Dimarzio (when I get my Holiday Days check from work!) I'll let you know. Thanks again!!
                        Guitars:
                        1988 Model 2,
                        RR3
                        1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                        2005 SG Special

Comment

Great deal! Nice guitar too.

Comment

Originally posted by WarrenLeeLynch View Post
                            Sounds like you got a great deal on a very cool guitar. Do let us know how it sounds when you put the Super Distortion in it. I`ve you decide to swap out the singles the Dimarzio Crusier is a nice single coil sized pickup.
                            Update: I picked up a Dimarzio Super Distortion today and put it in. I have to say the stock Jackson sounded nice, but the Dimarzio SD just rips!!! Sounds amazing now. Great pickup for all-out Metal! Also, I ordered the "conversion" pickup ring from Dave at "Frets-on-the-Net." Fits perfect. Also, the flat color of the ring totally matches the surface of the Dimarzio. Makes it look like a "matched set!" Kudos to the work done by Dave. Thanks!!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Have a happy holiday everyone!!!!
                            Guitars:
                            1988 Model 2,
                            RR3
                            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                            2005 SG Special

Comment

Very cool.

Hey, what's a conversion pickup ring?
                              Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
                              www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Working...
                              X