Buying a model 6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a model 6?

Hey guys, I just thought I'd ask for some help..

Snooping around for Charvels, I finally found what I've been looking for - a model 6..The seller claims that the 6'er is in good, original condition, and he has the original case (I dunno if that's the tweed-case or the chainsaw one though.) It's for sale locally..

I have searched ebay, and I see 6'ers running from everywhere from 300 to 700 $ - so my question is how much I should pay if the guitar is in as good shape as the seller tells me..

How much have the owners of 6'ers here paid for theirs?

Thanks in advance folks!
    My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

I just paid $400 for one that was alittle beat up and DOA due to volume and booster being broken. If its mint 550 would be the highest I would go. I also paid $400 for my other model 6 but that probably doesn't count since I bought it in 88. both of mine have Kahlers which are supposted to be worth less.

Comment

Since you're in Norway, you may have to pay closer to the high end of the price range. Anything less than $600 would be a very good deal just about anywhere in Europe, from what I've heard. I paid $400 for mine, but that was 3 years ago in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
        Since you're in Norway, you may have to pay closer to the high end of the price range. Anything less than $600 would be a very good deal just about anywhere in Europe, from what I've heard. I paid $400 for mine, but that was 3 years ago in the US.
        I kinda figured that..I have seen a couple of 6's for sale in Sweden, but not many around here in Norway...It's gonna be really exciting to see what this guy is asking for his 6..(But I find it a bit strange that he's asking me how much I'm interrested in paying, I'f I had a guitar like that I'd want to make sure how much they're worth!)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
          I just paid $400 for one that was alittle beat up and DOA due to volume and booster being broken. If its mint 550 would be the highest I would go. I also paid $400 for my other model 6 but that probably doesn't count since I bought it in 88. both of mine have Kahlers which are supposted to be worth less.
          DOA=?

Dead on arrival?

Comment

DOA=?

Dead on arrival?
            YEP . was supposed to be "just a Hum". I was going to take out the Jackson pups anyway.

Comment

Will you get to play it first, or are you depending on emailed pics? If you can play it that's best, if not ask for closeup pics of any blems. Then start off lowballing if it's an "offer" situation. If you'd pay $600, offer him $450 first. If he goes for it, you scored! More likely he'll come back with a higher price, no matter your first offer, so start low.

Hopefully you can pick it up, but if he has to ship it, and it has the tweed case, those cases will let the guitar move around in transit. That is how the headstocks break on these guitars! So make sure he packs it internally with bubble wrap to the extent that the guitar can't move. That is a must.

If the guitar is in good condition I would think you will love it! I love mine! So best of luck and I hope you can get a good price on it!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I say they go on eBay $400. - $600. Bought my a couple of years ago for $500. w/case & EMG's w/originals thrown in.
                Would definately go the mint route, less trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                  Will you get to play it first, or are you depending on emailed pics? If you can play it that's best, if not ask for closeup pics of any blems. Then start off lowballing if it's an "offer" situation. If you'd pay $600, offer him $450 first. If he goes for it, you scored! More likely he'll come back with a higher price, no matter your first offer, so start low.

Hopefully you can pick it up, but if he has to ship it, and it has the tweed case, those cases will let the guitar move around in transit. That is how the headstocks break on these guitars! So make sure he packs it internally with bubble wrap to the extent that the guitar can't move. That is a must.

If the guitar is in good condition I would think you will love it! I love mine! So best of luck and I hope you can get a good price on it!
                  I've talked to the seller again, and the guitar is not original after all..It's missing the original trem, truss rod cover (but that's fixable) and on top of that...He has sanded down the back of the neck because he thinks it makes it easier to play, but I find it really annoying that he did that - it's not original in my eyes anymore..

And oh - he's asking 930$ - but we might make a deal after I come back from my vacation..

Comment

Morten, just a heads up.

Here in Denmark, in a newspaper called dba.dk, there's a Charvel Model 6 in red for sale and has been up for a while (like several months). It's got EMG SA/SA85 + EMG mid-boost for the sc's (apparently).

He's asking $850 which is too much in my book, but having it listed for months, he might take a lowball offer.

Here's a pic. Let me know if you need any help on this one.

Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                      Morten, just a heads up.

Here in Denmark, in a newspaper called dba.dk, there's a Charvel Model 6 in red for sale and has been up for a while (like several months). It's got EMG SA/SA85 + EMG mid-boost for the sc's (apparently).

He's asking $850 which is too much in my book, but having it listed for months, he might take a lowball offer.

Here's a pic. Let me know if you need any help on this one.

Thanks for the heads up man! And it looks good as well..Would you do me the favour of shooting this guy a mail and ask him if he's had any offers?

Comment

Originally posted by MortenP View Post
                        Would you do me the favour of shooting this guy a mail
                        I'd have to pay to get access to his contact info (20kr approx.) That's how the dba.dk works. I PM'ed you a link to the add in the online paper. If this fails, let me know if you need further help.

Originally posted by MortenP View Post
                        .. and ask him if he's had any offers?
                        If you don't mind me saying so, I'd ask him for more and better pics, a status on the guitar (frets, dings, damage) and how much shipping to Norway would be.

For your information, he's located in Randers, 40km from where I live.
                        Henrik
                        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Hey, that's my guitar -lol! I have a red '86 that I bought new in '87 and still have it. Good luck with getting that one, mine's still my #1.
                          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Hey, that's my guitar -lol! I have a red '86 that I bought new in '87 and still have it. Good luck with getting that one, mine's still my #1.
                            Same goes for me . I also have an red 86 that I bought used in 88 for $400. Its my main guitar too.

Comment

Man I just sold my Model 6 on Ebay... :-(

I practically gave it away for $500. Strange as last week there were a few over $600 and mine is arguablyt in better shape and has no missing parts nor screws/plates bar. And I have the case for it. Damn I almost want to buy it back for the price it sold for.

Comment

Working...
                              X