Charvel Model 6 VS. SL1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 6 VS. SL1

Are the 6's just as good as the current USA soloists? I am looking for opinions on playability. Quality too , but besides the Rosewood vs ebony and Kahlers vs Floyd Rose. I have 2 86 model 6s and wonder if the only thing I have to look forward to in a US soloist is the great graphic paint jobs.

Both Japanesse and USA ones vary depending on what years they were made. I find 86/ early 87 the best years for the model Series. I've never been happy with ones made after that, although they are still good, I think the early ones are still better. The Contemporary Series were also good and elevated the quality back to the 86 levels. The USA ones also vary greatly. Its almost like comparing apples and oranges. The early USA ones are kind of funny, in that being hand made, they are quite inconsistant. You really have to approach it on a guitar to guitar basis. The new SL3s coming out of Japan are another guitar you should consider. They have a Schaller Floyd, and SD pickups, and they look really well made...........

Comment

It's a bit tough for me to compare a Model 6 to a current Soloist, because the design has changed significantly. I find that the non-recessed trem and angled neck of the Model 6 make it feel much different (better, IMO) than recent Soloists. But that's strictly a matter of personal preference and doesn't mean that current Soloists play worse.

Apart from that, I've never played a Model 6 that wasn't a great player, though there is almost as much variation in neck shape among Model 5/6s as there is among USA Soloists of that era. If you like Kahlers, an '86 Model 6 is about the best deal going, and if you like Floyds, and '87 or '88 is great once you remove the JT-6 and install an OFR. That said, I own an '85 Soloist, and I greatly prefer that to any Charvel Model I've played.

Comment

I would take a model 6 over the SL1 any day, I like the non recessed trem, and the price, and don't forget the MOJO! It's just a matter of preference, both are excellent guitars.
        Last edited by jacksonaxes; 11-03-2006, 09:38 AM.
        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

anybody else?

Comment

I love my Model 6, but I'm not going to say it's "better" than a current SL1. I prefer the non-recessed trem, and I like the mini-switches since they give a couple more options plus the killswitch function. Besides the ebony board & MOP logo, the SL1 also has alder wings which I prefer to poplar, a quartersawn neck (Model 6 is flatsawn), the much better stock trem (though it's no prob to put an OFR on the Model 6), and a true locknut. When mine's due for fret-work, I'm definitely having an OFR nut installed. When I first joined here, it was to get info on SD vs. the newer Soloists & I ended up getting a Model 6 & a 750XL. They more than fit the bill for me. I still have my eyes open for a nice SD Soloist if one pops up, and my holy grail is still an old trans-amber Archtop Soloist, but the need isn't as urgent as it was & I'm focusing more on USA Charvels these days.

Comment

Depending on the year of the Model 6, you may get the Floyd nut. One of my two '88s has it.
              The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I love my Model 6's to no end. Great players, great features. I actually prefer the behind the nut lock over the OFR style nut. Ive got one with a Kahler which I love, and one with a JT6 which Ive also never had a problem with. I see no reason to replace the JT6 with an OFR honestly. Its a great, heavy duty trem and unless you crank the shit out of the set screws, should never have a problem with it.
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Working...
                X