Model 4 revelation but needs minor help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 4 revelation but needs minor help

Hey, new meat here so take it easy on me. I picked up what I believe is a 1986 Charvel Model 4 and have to say, this thing is really a sweet piece of guitar craft! I didn't need another guitar, never liked Kahlers, and figured a pointy headstock meant limited use, shred only type stuff but I was amazed at how versatile the pickups were and how sweet it sounded and played. The active stuff has all been ripped out and it has a DiMarzio evolution in the bridge position, so it isn't 100% stock, but the neck is killer and the Kahler actually works and feels great. I must have played a few poorly set up Kahlers in the past to form my neg opinion, but this one works great. It is a cool metallic purple, and in good shape, but the best part was that it was, in my opinion, stupid cheap. Like "how can I NOT but this" cheap, so I did. The only thing it needs is a slight truss rod tweak and it seems to be an odd size. Anyone know what size wrench I need? I'm guessing a metric 7mm or maybe 6mm since the 8mm I have is a bit big, but if someone can clue me in I would appreciate it greatly. Also, am I missing out with the active circuit being gone? Wasn't it just a mid boost on these or something? Thanks in advance for any help. Z

You guessed right. It takes a 7mm wrench for the truss adjustment. As for the electronics, they aren't necessary, especially if you've swapped out the pickups. I think the original J200 stacked hums sound pretty bad without the active circuit, though. They even say in the literature that they are only meant to be used with Jackson active systems. Pretty sure that metallic purple color was called Black Cherry. Also, I'm totally in agreement about Kahlers. I had only played a few old beaters with trems that hadn't been taken care of, so I had a major prejudice against them. I finally got a Kahlered SD Charvel with a nice one and now I'm kicking myself for passing up so many other Kahlered Charvels in the last couple of years. I still prefer floyds, but the Kahler will never keep me from grabbing a nice axe again!

Comment

DG, thanks for the info. I'll hunt down the 7mm and get this thing dialed in. I just happen to have a set of EMG's around so I think I'll drop them in and have a proper Charvel for the first time in over 25 years of playing. I have been firmly in the Ibanez camp for years and years, but have to give props to the Charvel and the couple other Charvel/Jackson's I have owned over the years. I go back and forth between vintage and "shreddy" guitars, and am in a more "pointy" place lately, but this Model 4 really straddles the line perfectly. I know fully understand the term "SuperStrat"! Thanks again for the help. Z

Comment

Working...
      X