Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel model 5 wiring???

Hello.
    I have a Charvel Model 5 I purchased new in 1986. It has 2 Jackson pickups 1 volume 1 tone and a (insert answer here) 1.variable coil tap 2.variable phase selector 3. Active mid range boost pot.
    I've been told its all 3 from several persons that claim to be in the know. All I know is with the third pot dimed it's fatter and zeroed it's thinner.

Super 5 way blade switch. You can dial up almost any sound you want but the tone has always been sub par compared to my Les Pauls and Hamers.
    It also has 1 nine volt battery that powers what appears to be a FET preamp of some sort. So it's always had plenty of gain, but lacked in tone.

I'm considering changing the pickups and putting in a Dimarzio Breed neck DP165 in the bridge position and a Joe PAF DP213 neck in the neck position.
    I was hoping some one could help me or lead me to someone that has a schematic of the original wiring.
    I'm would also like to wire the 2 new pickups to a new Super 5 way with the third pot continuing to perform as a variable coil tap, or what ever it's doing.

I haven't touched a thing yet and when I disassemble I'm going to leave everything intact except for the wires to the humbuckers which I will leave a small piece of the colored wire to were they are attached when I cut them, so know what went where, should the need to restore it to original arise.

Thanks for reading.
    If you have any suggestions please share.
    Jeff

On the mod 5s its an active mid boost. here is a color chart. all you have to do is write done what goes where from which pickup and convert the colors and you should be good

Comment

It should be no problem, as Rich said. That switch can be set up to do all sorts of things, but if you want it to give you the stock switching options, just do the color conversions & you're all set. If you're curious, the schematic for the switch is here:

(lower right of the page)

and the schematic for the JE-1200 midboost is here:

Comment

Thank You

Comment

Working...
        X