Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused

Is it common for there to be so called 'transitional' guitars between years?

Here's my dilema. I've learned alot about JC on this site but this bothered me. I checked a guitar I just bought and one that is currently on Ebay.

Mine is an 87 Model 6 and his is an 86 Model 6. I thought Charvel didn't start using JT-6 trems until 87 but his 86 has one and it looks stock (mine has a JT-6 also)

Also, checking the catalog scans, the Charvel logo on my 87 looks like an 86 scan ( http://www.audiozone.dk/CatalogScans...1986Page18.htm) and his 86 looks like an 87 scan (Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ype=osi_widget) (87 scan http://www.audiozone.dk/CatalogScans...87Page18A.htm).
    If you are wondering what the difference is, look carefully at where the logos start and how close each are to the bindings.

Is this normal? I can understand using an 86 neck on an 87 but using a 87 headstock and trem on an 86 seems a little wierd.
    My gear
    87 Charvel Model 6
    86 Charvel Model 4
    93 Jackson RR EX
    93 Jackson Kelly STD
    88 Ibanez RG560
    99 Schecter Diamond C-7
    Peavey Bandit 112

I think the logos are the same maybe location was a little off.His may be a late 86 thats why the JT-6.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Why are you sure his guitar is an '86? Serial number on the back of the headstock?

And yes, there are changes during years. I have two '88 Model Sixes that are within serial numbers of each other. One has the normal lock-behind-the-nut, the other has the Floyd nut.
      The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

There was a thread in the ebay section a while back. He is a member here. It is an 86. I actually have a 86 with a later # then that one that has a kahler. I would assume that they did a test run for the 87 models.

Comment

There were changes and the catalogs are not always 100 percent. I have a Jackson Fusion that is eiher a '92 or '93. One years catalog shows the model name on the truss rod cover just like my guitar, but doesn't list my finish (trans red) as an option. The other years catalog shows no model name on the truss rod, but lists trans red as an option ....DUH! So what year is it? I go with '92/'93 ;-) Karl

Comment

Heck, the original catalogue ('86) is full of errors - like the knob placement, lack of pickup covers etc...I guess those guitars were pre-pros.

Comment

Memphiskat I have a mahogony fusion H-H trans red,Name on cover but a serial number 1 number off of my 92 dinky standard.My fusion is supposed to be a 93.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
                Heck, the original catalogue ('86) is full of errors - like the knob placement, lack of pickup covers etc...I guess those guitars were pre-pros.
                Prototypes. "Pre-pro" refers to something entirely different.

Comment

Pre-production?

Comment

"Pre-pro" and "prototype" are used interchangeably sometimes, but "pre-pro" has a pretty specific meaning wrt to Charvels. It is used to refer to the early pre-serialized guitars put out by Charvel Mfg. before November of '81. About 750 or so of them were made.

Comment

Working...
                    X