Predator? able to replace with floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predator? able to replace with floyd

There is a guitar at a local shop which seems to be a predator except the pickups and bridge are different than whats in the catalog scan. I know a floyd would replace the one it came with, but I'm woried that this is some transitional model or has been modified with this bizzare trem

I want to see if I can replace with a OFR with no work that I have to pay for, I don't trust the tech because he said "sure it'll fit, they're all the same" (post spacing)

So I'm going to sneak a ruler in there and measure it!!!

Is it measured center to center?

Also anything I should know about the diameter of the posts and the way they are put in???
    (threaded vs pressed etc)

Also, how can I post a pic here? It says I may not post attachements

Thanks
    Last edited by tanpsi; 12-05-2006, 08:21 PM.

What logo is on the headstock? If it has the guitar-shaped logo the guitar is probably a Model 3DR rather than a Predator. A Predator has the script (aka toothpaste) logo. A Model 3DR will have a JT-6 trem rather than the Schaller JT-590 that the Predator had. A floyd should be a simple drop-in replacement either way. Both have standard floyd post spacing.

Here's the pic posting tutorial:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29708

You just need a free pic hosting account at photobucket, webshots, etc.

Comment

Replacing the trem posts will be tricky. The JT-6 post bushings were very big, so you'd have to dowel the holes and drill new ones for the OFR posts - or you could just go ahead using the original posts with the OFR.

Comment

Budman also makes improved JT-6 replacement posts that allow for a little more range.

Comment

Thanks!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...us/Charvel.jpg

See, it seems to have the pickups of the DR3 (and no scalloped heel) but locking nut and logo of Predator, but the trem of neither. Is it what is called single locking??? strings feed through hole in string lock?
          Last edited by tanpsi; 12-07-2006, 10:11 PM.

Comment

That trem doesnt belong on there. But it looks like a floyd will go right on there no problem. What does seem odd is that the stud bushings look huge from the pictures

Comment

That's a JT-570 single-locking trem. A Schaller or a used JT-590 might be the best replacement in order to avoid the problem of an OFR's longer string lock screws overhanging the route.

edit- Looking at it again, I think it's actually a Floyd Rose III. A little different than the JT-570, but still single-locking & something I'd want to replace.

Last edited by dg; 12-08-2006, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                What does seem odd is that the stud bushings look huge from the pictures
                Those are JT-6 bushings. My 750XL has them stock (with the JT-590).

Comment

Tanpsi, did you buy the guitar or at least get a really good look at how the trem works? We're trying to figure out if the strings just feed through the tubes & don't lock down, or if they are locked somehow. Check Henrik's post in this thread:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...967#post830967

Comment

I tried it out a year ago, but it got sold and is now back at the same store. I will check it out again and see. If the strings lock at the bridge in some way, maybe I will just buy it and see how it stays in tune before replacing the trem. I will get more details to help add to your info collection.
                    Last edited by tanpsi; 12-10-2006, 05:55 PM.

Comment

It's at Daddys Junky Music a local chain and they wanted me to put money down to send back to Boston, but I'm not going to bother. At 180 it's cheap but with "correct" Predators going for around 250 I think I'll wait for one of those to get the Schaller, dual rail neck PUP and heel scallop.

To help clear up what you guys were interested in, when I played it a year ago the trem did not say Floyd Rose III on it, although that definitly seems what it is most like.

Thanks again
                      Last edited by tanpsi; 12-12-2006, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Good luck! My Predator is my all-time favorite guitar.
                        Scott

Comment

Working...
                        X