• Show
Clear All

• Noob needs model ID

Just bought this

As you can see, well messed up,
    Wrong bridge. Scratch plate added.
    Now it's like this;

Didn't meen to end there.
    Anyway, The humbucker is a J50n. The one I've removed says nothing on back but could be another j50 from its resistance.
    Body was originally HSS with two pots and five way sellector.
    Serial no. 311792, which I think puts it 1988.
    Cheers
    Dave

Comment

Looks like a Model 3 or perhaps a 375, also looks like it was a H-S-S at one time in it's life.
      -Rick

Comment

I was guessing model 1 or 3. But I'm just guessing. It's wonderful to play and I didn't expect that pup to be so powerfull

Comment

Model 1 was a Single hum. This looks to have been a factory H-S-S, which would make it a Model 3 or something similar like the 375.
          I suspect the neck is not original to the guitar, but it's hard to tell.
          Every Model 3 I've seen though, has a Floyd, and not a vtrem.
          -Rick

Comment

There ya go... just answered your own question.
            -Rick

Comment

Cool. By the way Hi

Comment

The guitar on eBay is a Model 1C, HSS with the v-trem & maple fretboard. Yours probably was too, but it could be a 3 with swapped neck. Are there any markings in the neck pocket? Do you have the trem cavity plate, and if so does it have the slot in the back for loading the strings (indicates v-trem, like Model 1) or is it solid (indicates floyd, like Model 3)?

Can't find a catalog scan, but I think the 1C was made in '88 only. Here's a pic of mudkicker's sweet 1C:

Last edited by dg; 12-18-2006, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I completely forgot about the 1C.
                  Now the body makes sense as every Model 3 I've seen had a Floyd of some sort.
                  -Rick

Comment

Great, thanks.
                    That trem is temporary, as I've ordered a brass one.
                    I want to try to repair it as much as possible, but I don't want to refinesh it cus the colour is gorgeous. Then I shall descide what pups to give it.

Comment

I would have left it alone.
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                        I want to try to repair it as much as possible, but I don't want to refinesh it cus the colour is gorgeous. Then I shall descide what pups to give it.
                        I totally know what you're saying. I have a Model 6 in the same color. I've been having thoughts about refinishing it, but every time I take it out, I realise I can't touch it. There's almost nothing that beats a guitar in naturally aged white!

I'm thinking of maybe having a vinyl sticker made with a black graphic, so I can enjoy both a graphic and the beatiful original finish.

Man, that M3 of yours smells mojo all the way here! If it was me, I think I would try to dowel the holes, clean it up and leave it like that - that's just me though.

Oh, and hi!

Comment

That color is the same as my Model 1A. And I love it. Just put the thing back together and leave it AS-IS. There are others out there..
                          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Yes, definitly will leave the finesh. Brass trem, and load it with good pups.
                            I have a lace sensor holy grail to go in the midle position, unless I get a better idea

Comment

Working...
                            X