Some quick questions.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some quick questions.....

I have been looking forever for my dream, now Im going to make it. I have always wanted a black 1 hum charvel with a maple neck and a OFR. So I think the best way to go about this is to get a model 1 and have the OFR put in it. So my question is will any routing need to take place and whats the best pick up for full on metal.... I have a Explorer with a JB in the bridge and I get great tone for Ozzy,Dio type stuff but want this guitar to be way more heavy.

Thanks,

~Andy

Don't forget the neck mods for the locking nut. Add the costs up carefully because if it pushes a grand in total, you'd probably be better off finding a US San Dimas - if you can swing it you won't regret it. For pups, its a matter of taste - I happen to like EMGs for metal but other hate them. Good Luck.

Comment

if you want to put something together yourself, see if you can't find a Model 2 body and a Model 4M neck. Bolt 'em up and go!
      Hail yesterday

Comment

A Model 1 will also need the body routed & the posts installed to convert from v-trem to floyd. The way people usually go is to get a Model 2, then try to score a maple-boarded neck. The floyd is a drop-in replacement for the JT-6 on the Model 2. Then you can either get an ofr nut installed or just use a behind-the-nut JT-6 or Kahler lock. My guestimate is that you could probably make it happen for about $550 - $600 including the new floyd. You'd never get that back on resale, but that's how these things go. Keep in mind that the maple necks are getting harder to come by, and a couple hundred more might get you one of the USA San Dimas Standards that they're blowing out these days.

Comment

You do need to do a small amount of routing on the body for the trem arm stud(underneath the base plate)
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have that very guitar. I sent you a PM about it.As soon as I get a chance I will post some pics.Bought the Model 1 in 88, bought a Floyd directly from Kramer,and had a local luthier do the install. I put just over a grand into it in 88. It still plays better than ANY other guitar I have ever played/owned. Anyone have any ideas on what it might be worth?
            "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

a lot less than half what you have in to it.

Comment

Working...
              X