new old stock Charvels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new old stock Charvels

Visiting a local music store and spotted (2) nice Charvel Model 3's. I have (2) Model 4's and have been looking for a Model 6 so I asked the salesperson if they ran across many of the old Charvels. He said that these guitars were not old but were "new, old stock" that had been in a warehouse for a 'long time'. They had 4 total (2 Model 3's and 2 Model 1's). I was skeptical but they had obviously never been played before. They had the JT-6 trem and original Jackson pickups (even had a protective peel-off plastic cover over the humbucker and a tiny "Made in Japan" sticker on the neckplate). Could these really be NOS guitars or re-furbs w/ NOS parts and is there any way to tell for sure? If they are indeed NOS this would seem to be a couple of rare guitars. What would be a fair price if they are? Asking price was $875 but would let them go for $500.

They turn up from time to time. I'd believe that they are true NOS guitars much more easily than I'd believe that someone went to all the trouble to refurb them & track down the parts. There's not enough money to be made to make it worthwhile. There was a guy here a few weeks ago that had stumbled onto a store with a bunch of NOS Model Series for a good price. He got the boot for trying to sell them here on one of his first few posts, iirc, but he had a NOS Model 2 up on eBay. Even though they are basically brand new, I still think $500 might be high. As soon as you peel off the plastic and start to play it, you have a "minty" Model 3 that might go for $350 - $400, and if you leave it in the case it unplayed it's still not considered a collector's piece, so I doubt it would go up in value. I'd try waving $350 - $400 cash at him & see what happens.

Comment

Makes sense. I wasn't sure if the fact that they were unplayed would make a big difference in the value. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
        They turn up from time to time. I'd believe that they are true NOS guitars much more easily than I'd believe that someone went to all the trouble to refurb them & track down the parts. There's not enough money to be made to make it worthwhile. There was a guy here a few weeks ago that had stumbled onto a store with a bunch of NOS Model Series for a good price. He got the boot for trying to sell them here on one of his first few posts, iirc, but he had a NOS Model 2 up on eBay. Even though they are basically brand new, I still think $500 might be high. As soon as you peel off the plastic and start to play it, you have a "minty" Model 3 that might go for $350 - $400, and if you leave it in the case it unplayed it's still not considered a collector's piece, so I doubt it would go up in value. I'd try waving $350 - $400 cash at him & see what happens.
        +1
        excellent post
        Hail yesterday

Comment

I would definately pay $500 for all of them, or probably even $875. I would buy exactly 0 for $500 each.
          |My CSG gallery|
          (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Good point! I just re-read the first post. Was it $500 each or for both? If it's for both, forget everything I wrote & go get 'em!

Comment

It was $500 each. I think I'll offer $800 for both of them.

Comment

Working...
              X