My Model 1 and my 1A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Model 1 and my 1A

OK, you wood guys both of these are old logo Charvels. Both are around the same age. Granted, the 1A has the a loaded pickguard. However, the Model 1 weighs 7.5 pounds and the 1A weighs 8.5 pounds. What a difference a pound makes. Is the wood the same?
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Both should be basswood. Maybe one was "wetter" when it was cut.

Alvin
    MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Thats strange as the 1a should be lighter with the pool rout and all. Maybe the extra pickups and controls make up the extra weight. Two more of those knobs are pretty heavy.

Comment

No. It's different wood. The model 1 is just lighter all the way around. It's like night and day.

Comment

My 86 1a weighs 8.6 lbs.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The entire bolt on model series was Basswood. One just simply has more weight to it. Basswood can be either realy light or realy heavy. Kinda like Ash can. the neck throughs 5' and 6's were poplar wings.
            Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
              The entire bolt on model series was Basswood. One just simply has more weight to it. Basswood can be either realy light or realy heavy. Kinda like Ash can. the neck throughs 5' and 6's were poplar wings.
              Gil

Yes, all bolt-on Model series were made of basswood. With the exception of the transparent finish Model 7's, which were made with a different type of wood. I can't remember the type, maybe alder???

Alvin
              MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson View Post
                Yes, all bolt-on Model series were made of basswood. With the exception of the transparent finish Model 7's, which were made with a different type of wood. I can't remember the type, maybe alder???

Alvin
                don't forget, Model 88s were made of mahogany
                Hail yesterday

Comment

I forgot about the Model 88's. Thanks for that info.

Alvin

Comment

I know all about grain and density but there is a dramatic difference in the weight. I know Kramer used different wood within a model. That's why both of my Pacers weigh a ton each. While others are lighter. Could it be that Charvel did the same?

Comment

Model 7 (legend) were ash.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                      X