model 6 Vs Model 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• model 6 Vs Model 4

Ok. Obviously, I know the 6 is neck thru. And with the neck thru, the upper registers can be easier to play. My questions are these.

To me the neck on my 4 is PERFECT. How much different is the shape of the neck on the 6?
    Is the balance and weight about the same?

Any other notable differences?
    I have always wanted a 6 or old soloist, but have never played one, and since I got my 4, Its so perfect I worry whether or not Ill like the 6. (still love the look and nech thru)

Thanks

I love the neck on my Model 6. Thin, but not too thin. I also love the bolt-on Model Series necks that I have. They're a little different, maybe slightly thinner with a bit more of a flat spot to the backshape, but you can definitely like both. Don't forget that the Model 6 has a dinky body, which you may or may not prefer. I personally get along fine with either a dinky or full-size strat, but some people have a strong preference. In terms of balance, I think the Model 6 & soloists in general may be the closest thing to the perfect guitar. Just my opinion. Tone-wise there are differences that have to do with construction. I think bolt-ons tend to be a little brighter with a little more of a crisp attack than neckthroughs. Neckthroughs tend to have a bit more midrange to the tone & smoother attack, at least to my ears. I have a feeling that if you get a Model 6 you'll love it, maybe just for different reasons than the Model 4. Variety is great!

Comment

Cool!! Thank you! Im putting up a pretty high bid on it as they are coming up in price alot. Hopefully Ill win and hopefully I love it!

PS, Id love to see a larger version of your avatar.. (to get a clearer view of the headstock of course..)

Comment

Came from an eBay auction a couple of years ago. She used to pose with guitar stuff in quite a few auctions, I guess for her boyfriend or husband. This was her best pic by far, trust me!

Comment

DG pretty much nailed it.

The Model 4 is a full size basswood strat, and the Model 6 is essentially a Soloist, with the smaller (Dinky style) body. The M6 has Poplar body wings glued to the maple neck.

Comment

My M4 is sick! I love it, but the neck is way too thin for alot of people. But i love it!
            My Main Rig:
            '87 Charvel Model 4A
            Peavey KB100 amp
            Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
            '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
            '05 Ibanez RG320FM
            '86 Ovation Pinnacle
            '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
            '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

Working...