Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 1C woods?

Hi,
    I'm new here and I recently got myself a Charvel Model 1C off ebay (for £200, bargain!). Anyway, I love it, the neck is perfect for me and it looks great.

The only thing I dont like about it is the pickups. According to some scans I found, the pickups are J100 singles and a J90C humbucker. The J90C isnt too bad but doesnt have loads of harmonics or a very rich sound (even though HC reviews say otherwise). I dont like the J100s through my real amp at all, they sound way too thin/harsh/weak.. So I'm looking for some new pickups but they need to work well with the tone woods used.. only thing is I have no idea what they are

Does anyone know which woods were used in the body and neck of the Model 1C? Oh heres some pics of mine:

edit - I have an SD custom custom in my strat copy, any idea if that would sound good in the Charvel?

Thanks!
    Last edited by _tom_; 01-29-2007, 07:37 AM.

The body is Basswood, and I agree the J100s sound pretty crappy. A Lil 59 in the neck would sound great.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks for the reply

For the pickups, I'll probably go with some Bareknuckles of some kind. I was looking at the SD single-sized humbuckers but I remember not really liking the tone of the dimarzio single-sized bucker I had for my strat copy, had a weird kinda tone.

Comment

I have a Model 3 w/the same configuration and PUPs

I kinda liked the Duncan Cool Rails you can hear sorta what it sounds like
        (also the litle '59) here:
        Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

HTH

Son Of Spy
        1976 Gibson Mk53
        1988 Charvel Model 3
        1993 Jackson Dinky Reverse (DR5)

Questions are a burden to others; answers are a prison for oneself.

Comment

I have also bought a 1c recently. Love it loads. i know what you mean about the pups. I'm thinking of putting an old Dimarzio super distortion in it

Comment

As for the J90C, there seem to be good and bad ones. I dont know if the ones that came with imports are worse, but I dont think so.
            Anyway, removing the plastic cap can improve the sound a lot (the cap is about 1 mm thick and then there is another mm of glue on it).
            You might try that first, could save you some money. A good J90C is actually no worse than a duncan distortion or something similar.
            Last edited by max; 02-02-2007, 05:52 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Mine has a j50 on. I know it's not oem and it's meant to have an active circuit. It isn't too powerfull, but nice tone. Case of let the amp do the work

Comment

What active controls do the '87-'88 Mod 4's have?
                My Main Rig:
                '87 Charvel Model 4A
                Peavey KB100 amp
                Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
                '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
                '05 Ibanez RG320FM
                '86 Ovation Pinnacle
                '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
                '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

How come Model 1s are so resonable.
                  Are they inferiour to other models like a 4 or a 6?

Comment

Originally posted by chvl_91 View Post
                    What active controls do the '87-'88 Mod 4's have?
                    The Model 4, 5, & 6 all had the JE-1200 midboost system. Description of it here:

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                    How come Model 1s are so resonable.
                    Are they inferiour to other models like a 4 or a 6?
                    The reason they go for a bit less is mainly due to them having a v-trem rather than a double-locking trem like most of the other Model Series guitars. That maple fretboard helps make up for it though, and they don't go for too much less than Model 2s with a JT-6 trem & rosewood board. Also, when you get into the 4, 5, and 6, other features like MOP inlays, upgraded electronics & neckthrough construction (for the 5 & 6) make them more expensive.

Comment

Comparing the used prices of Model series Charvels to what they cost new, the Model 1's are selling closer to what they cost new than any other Model series model. Yes they still are a bargain, and I have bought several just for the maple necks.

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post
                        As for the J90C, there seem to be good and bad ones. I dont know if the ones that came with imports are worse, but I dont think so.
                        Anyway, removing the plastic cap can improve the sound a lot (the cap is about 1 mm thick and then there is another mm of glue on it).
                        You might try that first, could save you some money. A good J90C is actually no worse than a duncan distortion or something similar.
                        Just prised the cover off, a plastic cap and a load of glue cant be good for tone! What difference could I expect in tone? Brighter I assume? Just thinking whether re-installing it would be a good idea or not as I've just put my Custom Custom in and it doesnt sound too bad..

I think I'm gonna get a new neck single some time though, I dont know if I can afford a Bareknuckle. What do you guys recommend for smooth Maiden-style leads?

edit - how do you know which way round the pickup should go after the cover has been taken off? Theres a Jackson logo on the baseplate and a J90C sticker. Both coils are slugs (normally theres 1 screw and 1 slug?!), so I cant tell which way round to put it back in!
                        Last edited by _tom_; 02-05-2007, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by _tom_ View Post
                          Just prised the cover off, a plastic cap and a load of glue cant be good for tone! What difference could I expect in tone? Brighter I assume?
                          More open sounding (although a lot of people argue this is impossible) and a lot hotter of course, since you can get it about 3 mm closer to the strings.

Originally posted by _tom_ View Post
                          edit - how do you know which way round the pickup should go after the cover has been taken off? Theres a Jackson logo on the baseplate and a J90C sticker. Both coils are slugs (normally theres 1 screw and 1 slug?!), so I cant tell which way round to put it back in!
                          To put it back in choose the direction where the cable has the shortest way to the electronic cavity. But it doesnt make a tonal difference either way.

Comment

Ok thanks for the help Might do some comparison clips tomorrow of the Custom Custom and the now uncovered J90C, should be interesting..

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                              The Model 4, 5, & 6 all had the JE-1200 midboost system. Description of it here:

Thanks man!
                              My Main Rig:
                              '87 Charvel Model 4A
                              Peavey KB100 amp
                              Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
                              '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
                              '05 Ibanez RG320FM
                              '86 Ovation Pinnacle
                              '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
                              '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment