Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750XL VS. Model 6

Hello everyone,

I've read a lot of great info on here regarding 750 XL's and Model 6's and want to get your thoughts.

Assuming the same condition, color, paint, price, and stock jackson pickups, which would you buy and why?

thank you

EDIT: I cut this post short because I was short on time. So, I thought I'd come back to elaborate (and fix some spelling errors).

750XL - because I like the wood combo, the dual humbuckers and the short scale, and it also came with a real locking nut and a better trem. Yes, I am aware that some Model 6s came with a true Floyd nut. Most of them did not though, whereas all 750XLs did.

The neck humbucker in the 750XL (J-50B) is much nicer than the weak stacked hums in the Model 6.

The bridge humbucker in the 750XL (J-80C) is hotter than the bridge pickup in the Model 6 (J-50BC). I actually put the J-80C into the Model 6, and I like it better in that guitar. It is very 80's sounding...plug it into a Marshall, and you will have Mick Mars's sound off "Shout at the Devil"! This may or may not be a good thing.

Visually, the arch-top and recessed controls of the 750XL looks a lot better than the flat top Model 6.

Also, from a playing standpoint, the combination of non-recessed trem, the arch top and recessed knobs is awesome! I had to completely remove the volume knob on the Model 6, because I keep hitting it while playing. Not so with the 750XL, since the top of the volume knob is below the level of the strings.

All that being said, I *love* both guitars, and I will not part with any of them if I can help it! I've really grown to appreciate their differences - the Model 6 has a "clearer" sound from the long scale, while the 750XL sounds beefier instead.
    Last edited by Sunbane; 02-13-2007, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
      750XL - becaue I like the wood combo, dual humbuckers and the short scale, and it also came with a real locking nut and a better trem.
      My '88 Model 6 had the Floyd nut from the factory.
      The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I've owned 3 750xl's and a 650xl (updated model 6). Both are great guitars and I can't say much negative about either one of them. I like the shorter scale of the 750xl and all 3 of mine were the string thru models, of which I'm a fan as I hardly use the trem. I won't talk about the stock pickups as I yank those out as soon as I can and drop in different sets of Duncans to my personal taste. I like the arch to of the 750xl and the volume knob being more out of the way of my picking hand. I'm also a bigger fan of the dual hum set up as my technique usually has me hitting the middle pickup fairly often. Both models sound absolutely amazing with the right setup and pickup combo. And since that is rather subjective, I'll leave that for others to comment on.

All that being said, I sold all 3 of my 750xls and kept my 650xl.

Comment

Originally posted by 1trussell View Post
          All that being said, I sold all 3 of my 750xls and kept my 650xl.

Comment

750XL's kick ass. I totally love the one I bought from Travis. I have 4 LP's so the 750XL fits in like a hot rodded LP. I know many say the don't sound the same, but I can find many similarities in tone to my R0. I think those people who say they don't sound the same don't have the string thru model, which is very important.

getting back to the question:

Originally posted by gitfiddler View Post
            Assuming the same condition, color, paint, price, and stock jackson pickups, which would you buy and why?

thank you
            I really think you need one of each, but I prefer the features of the Les Paul like features of the 750XL over the Model 6 like everyone else, specifically:

H-H
            Reverse sharkies
            Archtop
            Mahogany body
            Maple cap

And did the Model 6 ever come in a string thru version? That might be a factor as well.

Comment

One thing I hated about the 750XLs that I've owned or played was the weight. The bodys are thick as hell. If you like archtop soloists for lower $, look for an archtop soloist pro. The body is about 5/16" or so thinner, and they weigh much less.

Pete

Comment

I will say the 750 over the 650.I have own both trem and string thru 750s and a Soloist Pro (650s cousin) and sold the PRO.I also sold all the 750s an bought the 750s cousin the Archtop PRO instead. As like the 24.75 scale and H-H over the 25.5 and H-S-S.They are both fantastic guitars and can not go wrong with either. It really come down to wether or not you like 25.5 or 24.75 scale guitars IMO.
                Mike
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

thanks for the responses

i thought i secured a 750, but i believe it's been sold. But, there seem to be a lot of 6's available these days. I'm leaning towards the 750, and of course they're scarce. I remember when the stores had them and all i could afford from mowing my neighbors' yards was a 375 deluxe.

i hate floyds and have boycotted them, but i'm willing to go back to the darkside for a 750 or the like . A kahler on a 6 is appealing

Comment

I like the Model 6 better cause that toothpaste Charvel logo on the 90's versions looks like crap.

to me, Charvels are about that little guitar logo on the hs. not that I'm shallow or hung up on appearances or anything.
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

A kahler on a 6 is appealing
                      And because there's a lot of dumbasses out there that don't know how to A) Use or B) Setup a Kahler, you can usually get them pretty cheaply.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
                        And because there's a lot of dumbasses out there that don't know how to A) Use or B) Setup a Kahler, you can usually get them pretty cheaply.
                        i'm a dumbass who can't set up a floyd. i was hoping the kahler was easier. Changing strings on a floyd, if one of the other strings slips or breaks, i'm on my way to the local guitar shop. bloody floyds!

Comment

At least the floyd will stay in tune. I can knock out a Kahler pretty quickly if I do some Vai-isms on it.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                            At least the floyd will stay in tune. I can knock out a Kahler pretty quickly if I do some Vai-isms on it.
                            Like I said. You've got setup problems...

Comment

i'm a dumbass who can't set up a floyd. i was hoping the kahler was easier. Changing strings on a floyd, if one of the other strings slips or breaks, i'm on my way to the local guitar shop. bloody floyds!
                              Changing tunings are a breeze on a Kahler. Not so on a Floyd. But anyway, you need to ensure you get the Kahler RIGHT in the first place. A good place to start is here: http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X