Kahler vs. Floyd style Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler vs. Floyd style Bridge

Some commentary in another thread sparked my interest to throw this out to the whole team.

I've only ever had floyds and have abandoned them.

Since i can't find a 750, i'm thinking about picking up a model 4 or model 6. What do you guys think about the floyd-style bridges vs. kahlers?

pros? cons?

i don't need to dive bomb.. just some love here and there

NooooooooooOOOOoooo...not this topic again. Unfortunately the majority of the forum favour Floyds so you are never going to get a decent reply on either trem thanks to bias.

My best suggestion to you is go and find a Kahler guitar and try it first! Learn its intricacies and by golly make sure you get it setup properly before forming an opinion. Don't be swayed by the "Floyd RULEZ, Kahler Suxorz" crap. Unfortunately between the Floyd and Kahler it comes down to what you feel is best for you. Some like them, and some don't. Try one and form your OWN opinion. If you want a floating bridge with the ability to lock, you should check out the new Kahler hybrids.
    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

My Mod 4 is the first Kahler equipped guitar I've owned. I've owned two guitars with Floyds.

Set up properly, they both work well for me and I'm not a big fan of either.

How's that for saying a whole lot of nothin'? :ROTF:

Comment

kahlers are awesome. I hate Floyds.

Comment

I have played both, You get used to whatever you're playing so the difference was not that great. Like if someone threw out a Kahler equipped guitar after you broke a string on your Floyd equipped guitar, Suddenly your fingers would go numb and your nose would start bleeding.(unless you missed and it smacked you in the face) I like the lesser amount of routing with the Kahler's especially with a neck thru guitar. Put a Floyd in the same guitar and it is no longer a neck thru but more of a hybrid set net, as the Floyd cut interrupts the neck thru.
          Bottomline is it's really not that big of a deal. Use either, and keep them well maintained, they will work wonderfully.

Comment

I had never played a Kahler and I DO divebomb lots...
            so I was talking to a fellow JCF'r who had a beautiful guitar with a Kahler about a deal, and I decided to try one first. GOOD MOVE - I hated them.

Sadly, I also pissed off the other guy by telling him I would pass on his guitar. Oh well, life's a bitch I guess.

At least I'm not stuck with a guitar I don't like.

MORAL: Go try one of each before committing to any single instrument.
            Strat God Music
            http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

i just got a model 4 w/kahler . the guitar needs a setup, but i'm ok with the kahler so far. I had Ibanez Rg's and i think you can get a lot more crazy with those divebomb-wise, but the kahler is all i need.

Comment

I don't care for Kahlers or JT6 both were discontinued in the late 80's . I own guitars with both and OFR & Shaller I prefer the OFR & the Shaller.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
                  I don't care for Kahlers or JT6 both were discontinued in the late 80's . I own guitars with both and OFR & Shaller I prefer the OFR & the Shaller.
                  Congratulations. We're elated that you were able to share that with us.

Comment

I perfer Kalhers over Floyd Rose. Floyd Rose trems suck. I hate them. All the bullcrap you gotta go threw just to set them up sucks. Break a string and everything goes sharp. That sucks. Try to Drop D, that sucks. Basically the best thing to do with a Floyd Rose is Block it off. meaning stop it from free floating. Then it''s ok at best. I like the low action.

Dan

Comment

Then again, you can do stuff with a floating Floyd that you can't do with anything else.

Floyds for the win!

Comment

Hey, I usually do not stop into this section, but I saw the topic header and figured I would chime in. If you are going to buy an import charvel, the only ones to buy are the kalhered ones IMHO - first year they imported them. I had an '86 model 6 way back when, it was the equivalent of the standard soloist of the same vintage (without the ebony and the $$$$). Best thing about the kahler is that it really is the trem for people that do not like trems. Can be de-tuned etc. without the hastle of a floyd, also. intonation is a lot easier because you have individual control over string hieght. The kalher is the defination of over engineered and I am not sure that it is good thing when it comes to trems, but if you are not a trem guy, you can just use the kalher like a TOM as you hand will not affect it (like it would a floyd).

My $0.02
                        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
                          Hey, I usually do not stop into this section, but I saw the topic header and figured I would chime in. If you are going to buy an import charvel, the only ones to buy are the kalhered ones IMHO - first year they imported them. I had an '86 model 6 way back when, it was the equivalent of the standard soloist of the same vintage (without the ebony and the $$$$). Best thing about the kahler is that it really is the trem for people that do not like trems. Can be de-tuned etc. without the hastle of a floyd, also. intonation is a lot easier because you have individual control over string hieght. The kalher is the defination of over engineered and I am not sure that it is good thing when it comes to trems, but if you are not a trem guy, you can just use the kalher like a TOM as you hand will not affect it (like it would a floyd).

My $0.02
                          Great post listing the advantages of a Kahler. Also it will not completely detune to shit if you break a string or do unison bends.

As for not dive bombing, my Kahlers will make the low E go completely slack, how much more divebomb do you need? The upper strings are more for wiggling harmonics anyway. I do have both because each has advantages but a Kahler is a great trem for many uses.

I think people just get used to one thing and can't adapt. It's fear of the un known, plus a Kahler that hasn't been kept cleaned and oiled will go out of tune. So clean and oil the fucker every 3 months and it'll last forever, or at least 20 years in my experience.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yep, people always forget the maintenance! Great post.

Comment

String tension and lack of sustain are my main problems with Kahlers. (although this dosn't effect most posters here because it sound like the majority tune down and use so much gain it makes no difference) JT6's are made from pot metal and not good for sustain. (Just a bad Idea to save money in 87 Junk IMO) Kahler were discountinued in the late 80's because the general public didn't except them and all the major guitar companies quit useing them. FACT!!

Comment

Working...
                              X