Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former Model 5 owner, shopping soon (??)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Model 5 owner, shopping soon (??)

I bought a Charvel Model 5 way back in '87 and though I quit playing, or slowed down a lot, I had to sell it a few years back regrettably. To this day it bugs me but on the other hand, it wasn't doing any good in it's case in my basement. It did have problems with the electronics and the few places I inquired about repairing it wouldn't touch it. My favorite aspects of that guitar were the Floyd Rose and the thru-neck.

Anyway, I'd like to buy another Charvel, preferably from the same era, and would like some advice.

I'm not a Kahler fan, so my preference would be another FR. Given the potential problems with the active electronics, I'd just as soon stay away from them, so that means no model 5 or 6 and possibly the model 4 ?? Short of replacing the pickups, can they other be "disabled" ?? The thru-neck isn't a requirement anymore either.

I'm going to look at (or look for) the old catalog scans from the late 80s to see what the differences are in the model 1, 2 and 3 for now. What common problems should one look (or ask) for on these era guitars ??

I wouldn't worry so much about the active circuit on the Model 5. Since you loved the neckthrough construction, I'd get another one. You may find a used one in great working condition, or it's no problem at all to just remove the circuit and put in some new pots. The original pickups on the Model 5 (J-80s) sound fine without the active circuit, or you can upgrade to whatever you want. Nothing wrong with any of the other Model Series guitars, though, and you'll probably like the bolt-ons too. The weakest link on any of the Model Series guitars, imo, is the JT-6 trem. They just don't hold up well due to the metal they're made of. Keep an eye out for stripped screws & screw heads, worn knife-edges, and grooved locking plates in the behind-the-nut lock. Sometimes you get lucky and there's some life left in them, sometimes not. The good news is that it's simple to replace the trem with a real Floyd Rose, and replacement parts for the string lock are available. You might also want to check out some of the later "toothpaste logo" models from '89 - '91, since they came stock with a really nice Schaller trem & locknut. Tons of great info here, so welcome aboard & good luck in your search!
    Last edited by dg; 02-18-2007, 04:30 PM.

Comment

I should clarify regarding the neck-thru. Back then, my hands and fingers were a bit more "nimble", plus I played lead. I'm older now.... and slower.... so that's not so much a requirement now.

I got an Ibanez RG320 some months ago and I should have listened to the others who warned against the tremolo on that model. It just doesn't stay in tune worth a sh*t, to the point that I don't want to play it. Nothing sounds worse than someone trying to re-learn how to play and then the guitar is out of tune on top of that !! Heh, the other day I played my 8-yr old son's Carlo Robelli strat-knockoff ($69 from Sam Ash). At least it stays in tune !

Comment

Grab a Model 5 again. They're such a versatile guitar. You won't regret it!
        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Bring up to speed, please.

If I recall, the overall size of the neck on the late 80's Charvels is "bigger" than the typical Ibanez neck, right ?? I know Ibanez has a few varieties, but in general they're rather thin.

Comment

Slightly bigger, but it depends on the model.

The thin neck J/C shredders are the Fusion models. These have the thinnest necks.

Comment

I find I go to my model 5 all the time, got 16 other guitars and it's still one of my favorites. They are still a steal on the bay if you watch closely.
              Mine plays as well as my $3000.00+ guitars. Best deal on the planet IMHO

Comment

Working...
              X