Help me Design this Neck (please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me Design this Neck (please)

Hi guys. I'm planning to have a Musikraft neck made and I want to match the specs of the neck on my Charvel Standard (made in Japan) and I need the help of you experts. Below are some pics of the original neck and the questions on the Musikraft order form. Thanks in advance!!!

first pic of whole guitar:

first pic of side of neck:

pic of back of neck:

pic of frets:

And now here are the questions from the order form:

SCALE: standard Fender 25.5 or short scale 24.75

Neck and Fingerboard Combination Style: with glued slab fingerboard, or skunk stripe style all one piece, or veneered or radius'd neck wood

Nut Style: standard Fender style .125 flat bottom, or vintage style .125 curved bottom

Neck Wood: rock maple (is this kind of the standard???)

Fretboard Wood: rock maple again???

Number of Frets: 24 fret without finger board extension

Fingerboard Radius: 7.25, or 9.5, or 10, or 12, or 15, or 16

Fret Size and Type: jumbo 6100 (.110 wide x .055 tall), or jumbo 7100 (.110 wide x .055 tall stainless steel), or super jumbo 6000 (.118 x .058)

Tuner Hole Size: standard 10 mm ???

Nut Width: 1-5/8, or 1.650, or 1-11/16, or 1-3/4

Heel Type and Size: standard strat heel 2-3/16, or strat heel 2-1/4, or strat heel special wide 2-3/8

Truss Rod Option: Dual acting adjust at head ???

Neck Profile: *** please go to this link and see the options ***

Finish: *** please go to this link and see the options ***

Additional Options: do I need standard semi rolled fingerboard edges???

I know that's a lot of info, but I don't want to mess this up. THANKS!!!
    Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
    www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Here's what I'd get (in the order from their form):

headstock- Charvel '80s

scale- standard Fender 25.5

glued slab fingerboard

nut- standard Fender flat bottom

neck wood- the old one was probably regular hard rock. I'd get quartersawn, especially if you decide on unfinished or oil-finished rather than laquered. Quartersawn is more stable & is what USA J/Cs have unless you get fancy figured wood like birdseye.

fingerboard- maple. lots of choices here. Only a few extra bucks gets you flame or birdseye...

24 fret, no extension

radius- compound 12 - 16 is what most J/Cs have

black dots & side-markers. You can specify Charvel narrow spacing by checking it at the bottom

frets- Jumbo 6100

standard 10mm tuner holes (Gotoh, Schaller)

1 11/16" nut width is most common on J/Cs

2 1/4" heel is also most common on J/Cs, but measure your pocket to be sure

truss rod- dual acting adjust at head, unless you want to have to take it off to adjust

Profile- Custom thin C seems most Charvel-like to me, or Thin C if you want it a little thicker. No wrong answers, go with what you like. That's why it's a custom neck.

Finish- Your old one probably had a satin finish. I'd get their standard sealed finish and do my own Tru-Oil finish on it. Just my preference. Again, it's totally your choice. Do you want it exactly like it was, or do you want to tweak it a little?

options- standard semi-rolled sounds right. Heavy rolled would have more of a broken-in feel & might be nice. I'd also get the Charvel narrow dot spacing, but it looks like the old neck actually had wide spaced dots. I just like the look of narrow dots.

Bottom line, you can probably get it very close to what it had, but there are some cool upgrades that I think could make it better, and some are free. Totally up to you. The key thing to make sure you get right is the heel size.

Comment

Do you want it exactly like it was, or do you want to tweak it a little?
      Most things I want exactly the same. I'm not planning to replace this neck. I'm actually going to have another guitar built so I want the necks to be the same size, feel, etc. I love the feel of this neck and I want to be able to play either guitar without noticing a difference.

I just measured the nut and it is 1-5/8 so I'll go with that.

Also measured the heel and it is 2-3/16 so I'll go with that.
      (so I have to specify to the place making the body to match the pocket to that)

How do I measure the radius? I want this to be an exact match.

Profile - this is another thing I want to be exactly the same because I'm guessing it has to do with the shape of the back of the neck. Right? Anyone know what this one has?

Finish - current one feels like wood so its super fast, so again I want the same thing. Who has one of these and knows?

dg, thanks for all the info. Now I'm thinking about wood options. Still need some more concrete specs before I can place the order. All suggestions and opinions welcome. Thanks!

Comment

I did a little bit of searching & can't find any thing about the fretboard radius. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the typical compound radius though. Neck is quartersawn & may be 1-piece rather than a separate fretboard. That's easy to tell by looking at it. Found this thread with a little bit of info on specs:

Comment

Still wondering about these 3:

Radius

Finish

Comment

Working...
          X