No announcement yet.

Is a Fusion body worth stripping down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Fusion body worth stripping down?

Is a Fusion body worth stripping down?

I ask because I just recieved my Fusion Pro yesterday and while the guitar plays like a dream it is rather scratched up with plenty of dings.

I would like to strip it down to bare wood and stain it but I wonder of it is a two or three piece body and will look pretty bad when stripped.

Anyone already done this?

Pretty sure it's basswood, which is soft & pretty blah looking, so it doesn't tend to be a very good candidate for that kind of finish.

Comment

I seen my friend do this same thing and his to was basswood. Im not sure if all of them are but there wasnt any cool wood grain effect or curves that made his neat to look at.

Comment

Man, that took forever getting to you! You won that more than a month ago.
        I was going to bid on it, but when I saw someone else bid, I let it go.
        Went for a good price.
        From the pictures on ebay, the front of that didn't look like it was too badly beat up.
        My plans were to just touch up the dings on the front (automotive paint, nail polish, model paint) and then sand and paint the back of the guitar body black. I have a spray booth and all the equipment, so it would've been fairly easy.
        Not sure if it would be worth it for you to have a pro refinish it. If you could do it yourself, it would probably be worth it.

I wouldn't try and leave that with a natural or stained finish. Chances are, as said earlier, the wood beneath the paint isn't the prettiest. That's why it was painted in the first place.
        Check this out, and decide for yourself. http://www.audiozone.dk/audiozonepho...del6/index.htm

That one is actually pretty good for wood grain and color, compared to others I've seen stripped.

Comment

Originally posted by 37fiat View Post
          I wouldn't try and leave that with a natural or stained finish. Chances are, as said earlier, the wood beneath the paint isn't the prettiest. That's why it was painted in the first place.
          Check this out, and decide for yourself. http://www.audiozone.dk/audiozonepho...del6/index.htm

That one is actually pretty good for wood grain and color, compared to others I've seen stripped.
          Model 6 is alder or poplar though, and it's a nicer looking wood than basswood.

The trans finished Fusions were ash, but I believe, as the others have stated, that the solid coloured ones were basswood.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Ya It took a while because I asked the seller to ship via USPS and choose their slowest and cheapest method to save cash. Tends to have no taxes or customs duties like that unlike when you ship with say FedEx and then pay an additional $100 for duties.

I guess you are all right. I'll just touch up the paint with some nailpolish and then eventually have one of my automotive painting buddies respray the whole body one day in the future.

By the way, I tore the guitar down to the last screw and scrapped the horrible wiring and soldering mess that it came with.

I will be installing a matching Jackson dual rail single coil to match the one that was missing. Thank God I had one kicking around that I never sold. In the bridge I will install the Dimarzio Super 3 that I won on ebay for $20 this week.

Just need some misc parts from Budman and I am ready to rebuild it.

Should be a great little screamer when I am done with it.

Boy do those "Toothpaste" series Charvels just rock no? I mean you get the next best thing to an OFR with a killer neck and great overall harware. Truth be told even the stock humbucker is not that bad at all and has plenty of bite.

My previous score was my dead mint silver 375 that I wone for just $175 about a year ago.

Comment

Working...
            X