Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, old guitar.

Large pics ahead!

It's 6 days since I have got my first Charvel, a Model 6.

It wasn't in minty condition, but I pulled the trigger and bought it. I live in England, so Charvels in general, and Model 6s are pretty durn rare.

The price offered was £300 which is roughly $580 as a straight conversion.

As you guys probably know though, we can't get Charvels in the UK or Europe for some of the US Ebay prices, it seems to be more like if a guitar goes on Ebay for $400 it'll go on UK Ebay for £400. So maybe I paid too much, as I see minty ones on US ebay for around those prices, but again we're in Europe where Charvels are not so common.

Anyhow I know you guys like pics. So here's some BEFORE the cleanup.

They are the shots the dude sent me when I saw the ad. I've since stripped it down and drowned the seized and rusty parts in WD40, which cleared most of the surface gunk. Still has surface pitting on some parts.

(for kicks, a big hair poster:

My photobucket site also has the other guitars I have, as well as pics of my two conversion projects, a fretless conversion and a scallop project.

The specs:

Serial is C702434, which makes it an '87?? (right/wrong?)

It also has a behind the nut Locking system, which from my reading here suggests a Kahler trem? This was taken off and replcaed with an OFR. The state of the OFR was not great, some saddles rusty. I could not remove three of them as the saddle bolt hex thread were stripped.

It's stll got the midboost intact, and it took me a little bit of time to actually work out what switch toggles what. The two stacked buckers are there still but the bridge is replaced with an Duncan Invader. With this pickup selected alone, and for rhythm parts (power chords ) it sounds great (and I only have a 30W solid state Marshall...) but trying to solo with the pickup is different. Sounds really thin and bright, to me. I like the thick humbucker tones of Vai and Satch for instance.

Maybe the pot value is mismatched? Or is the Invader known for being pretty bright?

How I found the guitar is pretty odd. I was watching an Ebay auction for a Model 6 body in the US. I was quickly checking the status of it at my workplace PC but had forgotten to save it/have it as a watched item. So in google I typed like, "Charvel Model 6" and it came up with the normal stuff, Harmony Central links to reviews etc.

Then after more searching I saw an ad to a craigslist type site with this guitar for sale. The date it had been added was the 19th March, the same date I was looking at the ad. I did a double take...wasn't sure if the date was wrong, if it said that because it WAS the 19th.

After I got over the suprise, I emailed the guy, he sent pics and I went down to his place next night to pick it up. It felt like a no brainer really.

The dude had two Engl amps, one of them a stack about as big as me. I could have tried to bring the price down on account of the rusty parts but thought otherwise. I got it home in one piece, avoiding commuters and even pretty large snow flurries. (I'd brought trash can bags for that purpose: taped em over the case as I knew that might happen) even so I did the taping after having to run down a train platform through said snow to shelter...

All in all the guitar is a beaut to play. I'd love if some of the dings were not there, of course. I'm thinking of maybe changing the bridge pot if need be, or the pickup.

It's weird, I've wanted a Charvel for about a year and it got pretty bad the more I read on here and the more I scoured ebay in vain for UK based items. And then I end up with a top end one! Maybe I paid too much, but I'm happy with it.

One last question though: How do you guys shine or clean or buff your guitars? I know very little about this, and the guitars I see sometimes on Ebay are supershiny. Do you use special products or something? I ask because the Model 6 has swirls like most guitars and just could look better I guess.

Lastly: big thanks to the guy I bought it from. He knew of the jcfonline but I forgot to ask his username. Also,thanks for letting me post this big long post to, and for being such a good resource for lovers of pointyheadstocked, high end, rockin' guitars!
    Last edited by wanthairspray; 03-26-2007, 04:25 PM.
    http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Yeah, that's an '87. It would have had the JT-6 trem originally (and yes, they also have a behind-the-nut-lock too). Nice one.
    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Welcome aboard, nice axe and not really a bad price for over here. Did you get that from a guy in the Kensington area as I saw that ad myself? I picked mine up for slightly more than you paid for yours with it's original case and all original electrics and pups. Cleaning wise, one of the Meguiars car swirl removers will probably be the best thing to use. Where are you based?
      www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Another proud M6 owner here!
        You did good on the price, especially since it has an OFR!
        Congrats and welcome!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

I will look into swirl remover, Speiro. As long as it doesn't make more swirls! I'm in Suffolk by the way, near Ipswich. I reckon we saw the same ad. I feel pretty lucky to have seen it so quickly. I don't know if I was the first person to reply, but I was all set to go down there that same night. Only about 1.5 hours by train.

What decided it even more was the Tweed case. I know Fender tweed cases are about $230 straight conversion sometimes, and even the moulded ones are not much better. I had been looking for a chainsaw case for a while too. The case is in good condition, badge and clasps a little dirty (maybe some spit and polish + brasso would help) and only one small tear in the tweed. Maybe it was my imagination but I got few looks from people at the case. I took the M6 in a gigbag packed to bursting with bubblewrap and airbags and had the case in hand. I had to walk home from the train station, see. The guitar + case together get a bit heavy after a while.

First time I played it was magic. I was shocked to actually feel the vibration of notes and chords right up near the nut. A real revelation, of sorts. That painted neck is no hassle for me, it's just beautiful.

I have other guitars, and two entry level Jacksons, a PS-2 and 4. The 4 has twin JBs a friend gave me out of his RR-5 (I think?). That guitar really wails.

Comment

Welcome! Good to see another fellow brit!

Awesome score on the m6. Thats a good price for the rip off UK. iv stopped lookin on USA ebay because it just depresses me too much.
            If you wake up in the morning, it's because Jack Bauer spared your life.

Comment

Now theres a guitar i would love to have! Jennifer Battens King TUT !
              That 6 is awesome too my brutha.

Comment

Nice score, if you are happy with it, it doesn't matter how much you paid for it!
                So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

In the US, that would be a little pricey in that condition. But from what I've read here about prices in Europe, I think you got a good bargain, especially with a OFR. Funny thing is that you rarely find a M6 completely stock anymore. I guess 20+ years most of them have found there way into the hands of a mad scientist at least once.

I bought mine a few months ago and it was all-original except for the bridge PU. Former owner put in an EMG 81. Saved me the trouble of doing it.

Congrats and welcome to the happy club of M6 owners
                  My gear
                  87 Charvel Model 6
                  86 Charvel Model 4
                  93 Jackson RR EX
                  93 Jackson Kelly STD
                  88 Ibanez RG560
                  99 Schecter Diamond C-7
                  Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

Ahhh man, I'm Jealous! I used to have a beautiful white Model 6 back in the late 80's and sold it to a mate who has it to this day, keeps it in a case and never plays it, who refused to sell it back to me.

I scoured eBay for months and couldn't find anything - the closest I found was a 650XL that I lost out on by 20 quid on a last minute snipe-bid (dontcha hate it when that happens!). Eventually I caved in and bought a new Jackson SL3... about as close as I could get to my old M6 without breaking the bank on an SL1.

Now I've got used to the SL3, the only thing I really miss is the neck binding. I remember the old active pickups being super-clean but very thin sounding so I'm not surprised the bridge one has been replaced.

When you find one of these in the UK, the price doesn't really come into it. Nice guitar mate!

Comment

pretty hot chick

Comment

Jem there's a white Model 6 floating around on Ebay US, tweed case included, with no bids on it at time of posting. And btw, I'm not suprised your mate kept it. Can't you..."persuade" him/her??

bucikman, yeah but that was about 20 years ago. Here's a more recent pic at this link. She's mellowed a bit.

I was happy it had the OFR but I saw that unfortunately the nut that holds it to the plate is cracked. Unless its supposed to be like that. I'm not used to PROPER Floyds.

Comment

It's a bit too late for an eBay purchase now. I've only just got the SL3 so an M6 is totally out of the question... at least for a few weeks

As to "persudaing" my mate, I tried cold hard cash but that didn't work. I've also had offers of illegal activity to encourage his release of said instrument from a variety of sources! But I keep telling myself it's only a guitar

There was an identical one to mine on eBay Australia about 2 weeks back - white, looked good condition. It went for £350 but add on about £100 for postage + good ol' customs and I reckon it'd have been 500+ to get it in. And of course if it got damaged or wasn't as described I'd be gutted.

I was already committed to the SL3 at this point so contented myself with thinking about the neatly recessed OFR and non-active SD PuPs on the SL3. Who knows, I may have made the right choice, certainly my replacement SL3 (first one was damaged) plays really nicely

Comment

That's the one thing about the model that I was unsure about: the non recessed trem. I'm used to a recessed one, when I saw the pics of the 6 I thought it looked unplayable for me. But it was not, and is in fact pretty darn schweet.

And yeah, shipping can be risky. My model 6 survived the previous owner shipping it from US (PA) but I have heard horror stories.

Comment

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
                              That's the one thing about the model that I was unsure about: the non recessed trem. I'm used to a recessed one, when I saw the pics of the 6 I thought it looked unplayable for me. But it was not, and is in fact pretty darn schweet.

Exactly! The 6 is a lot like an old-school Jackson soloist, with the non-recessed trem and non-carved heel. When it comes to standing up and playing, I think non-recessed creates a more natural angle for my picking hand.

I really love my modded 6. It has a beautiful faded ivory white finish too (used to be snow white pearl, but the clearcoat yellows with time). I often think that my 750XL plays a little better, but there's something about the 6 that always makes it a joy to play. Maybe it's just because I'm very happy with its tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X