Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need pickup suggestion to 650XL !!!

hey everybody,
    just grab a 650XL from ebay...but didn't like the original electronics...
    want to try passive,
    i need a beefy meaty sound, not trebly and thin like my Ibanez RG,
    so i'm considering a Dimarzio Tonezone to bridge and a Dimarzio Chopper to neck, or maybe something else you suggest....
    what's your opinion? has anyone any expirience?

thanx
    Don't drink & drive if you can smoke & fly!!!

Those are great choices and they'll sound great in there. Hard to go wrong with a Tone Zone. I'm more of a Duncan Guy, and I put a Custom and a Hot Rails in my Model 6 (precursor to the 650) and I love 'em.

Comment

Hard to go wrong with a Tone Zone
      +1

Good, dark sounding, meaty pickup.

-Nate
      Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

I just put a Tone Zone/red lace sensor/SD hot rails in one of my model 6's.
        Love the TZ.

Comment

If you want a huge, slamming, in your face tone, the TZ should get you there. If you want a big fat sound with a sweet character then go with a Rio BBQ. I just did a dual pickup swap on batman and Robin (I have a pair of black model 4s) In one, I put a BBQ, in the other, a Duncan distortion. The Rio sounds amazing! The dist does too. it hits hard and has nice crunch. But I like the warmth of the BBQ over the more fuzzy distortion.
          The BBQ is a keeper and the Dist will be replaced with a PATB or a warren Di martini custom duncan.

Comment

I'm definitely a fan of the Duncan Distortion, but it may have too much high end/mid range if you're after a darker sound. I use a Jackson J80C in my M6, and it's somewhere betweeen a Distortion and a Custom. A little too low output for my taste, but I fix that with a distortion pedal.

Comment

WOW, and i thought I was the only tonezone fan
              www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
              the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

when in doubt, always install a duncan custom.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Vlover View Post
                  WOW, and i thought I was the only tonezone fan
                  The Tone Zone kicks much ass! I put one in an old string-thru Dinky some years back, now I've got one in my Charvel Star.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    The Tone Zone kicks much ass! I put one in an old string-thru Dinky some years back, now I've got one in my Charvel Star.
                    I like to play metal rhythm guitar and it gives me a unique crunch from the guitar rather than amo or effects
                    www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
                    the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

I mostly play rhythm as well. It definitely gives a great rhythm crunch!
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

thanx, people!!!

Don't drink & drive if you can smoke & fly!!!

Comment

Here's what I did to my 650xl. I ripped out the active mid boost and teh stock pickups. I installed a Duncan Distortion/Cool Rails/Hot Rails combo with individual volume knobs. The Cool Rails and Hot Rails are hooked up to push/pull pots so they can be split. Extreme versatility.

Comment

Working...
                          X