Charvel Neck thicknesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Neck thicknesses

Another mid-life crisis guy here starting to recoup that old 80's Charvel magic.

My old 88 model 4, despite the somewhat inferior JT-6 plus behind the nut lock, had a nice thin neck. My newly-acquired 550XL on the other hand, is so much more solid (neck-thru + schaller), but the neck is TOO THICK for my hands!! My next try is a '89 predator.

So what models have the thinnest necks? Is it as simple as bolt-ons versus neck-thrus, or are there even differences amongst each type?

My 86 model 6 neck is pretty thin, so maybe it's the different years that are the problem for you. I think I read that they got a little thicker from 89 on. try getting another 86-88 model.

Comment

As a general rule, the bolt-ons were thinner. Quite a few people have said that the '86 neckthroughs were thinner than neckthroughs from the later years. Most Model Series or toothpaste logo bolt-ons should be thin enough for you if you liked the '88 Model 4.

Comment

From my experience, I agree with dg about the neckthrus. I have a '86 model 6 with a nice thin neck. A long-time friend of mine has a '88 (firecrackle BTW) and it definitely has a chunkier neck, I do not like it. Plus the crappy JT-6
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Can anyone comment on the thickness of an '86 neck-thru versus a bolt-on?

Comment

Hi sysin, looks like we're thinkin' the same... I used to have a white Model 6 back in the day. I can't quite work out what year I bought it but the more I look at catalog pictures the more I think it was 86-87.

I just bought an SL3 thinking it was going to have that same luverly thin neck but it does feel chunkier than I remember my old 6 to be. I put it down to 20 year memory fade though but perhaps not.

Can anyone here actually take a few measurements of different years & models for comparisson? I'll measure up the SL3 when I get home just for reference.

Comment

I'll start. I'm just using a flexible tape from a sewing kit, measuring along the nut-side of the fret.

'89 550XL (neck-thru):
              1st fret: 4 1/2"
              12th fret: 5 1/4"

'91 CX 390 (bolt-on):
              1st fret: 4 3/8"
              12th fret: 5"

Comment

Yeah, I've got an '86 Model 5 and a couple of '88 Model Sixes. The later guitars definitely have fatter necks.
                The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Ok, 2006 model SL3:

1st fret: 4 7/16"
                  12 fret: 5 1/8"

I'd love to hear from some late '80s Charvel M4/5/6 owners to compare as these figures are all looking very close, I am assuming the neck width is constant as otherwise the circumference measurements are a bit useless?

For reference, at 1st fret, width is 1 11/16" and at 12th fret it's 2 1/16".

Comment

You may be the first person here to do neck circumference measurements. I guess it could work, but like you said other factors like width or variances in backshape could muck it up. I measured the thickness on my '87 Model 6 with calipers a while back:

.750" at the 1st fret
                    .766 at the 3rd
                    .875 at the 12th

For comparison, catalog specs for the SL1 are .790 at the 3rd and .850 at the 12th.

Comment

calipers? whoah, I'm over my head here

I know the tape is low-tech, but maybe that will encourage more ppl to measure.

Anybody out there do thumb-fretted bar chords? For me, the thicker necks make this impossible.

Comment

This thinnest neck I own, by far, is on my JSX Concept 94. I was moving guitars around today and grabbed that one and thought I missed. It is paper thin.
                        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I always thought the CX necks were complete pencils compared to other Charvels. Narrow and small diameter wise, but they play like something else.

Comment

thinnest necks AFAIK are the fusions, My KV1 was very thin also. why the hell don't they give neck thickness on guitar spec sheets?
                            I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Summarized & ranked:

4th:
                              '89 550XL (neck-thru):
                              1st fret: 4 1/2"
                              12th fret: 5 1/4"
                              http://www.sysin.com/charvel/

3rd: '06 model SL3:
                              1st fret: 4 7/16"
                              12 fret: 5 1/8"

2nd: '89 Predator (bolt-on):
                              12th fret: 5 1/8"

Winner: '91 CX 390 (bolt-on):
                              12th fret: 5"

Got a Fusion Deluxe coming this week, will also measure that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X