M4 midboost noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M4 midboost noise

The midboost on my M4 is making a "wind on a mic" sound. I say that it's the midboost because the noise occurs with or w/o the pickups turned on, and as I turn the boost up at the knob it starts to occur, when I turn the knob down the noise goes away and becomes more of a hiss. I replaced the stereo jack thinking that may be the issue but apparently not. About halfway through the knobs travel it transforms from a hiss to the windy sound. I'm now thinking a bad component on the board. Would this board be able to be rebuilt (as in copied on another board) from scratch with ease? I could also do a complete shotgun replacement of the resistors, caps, etc. Not sure about the opamp though. Any thoughts? Thanks!

You might try replacing (or at least cleaning) the pot before touching the board. The midboost control pot is a linear taper 50k pot. Also double check the volume pot (audio taper 50k), because the noise you describe sounds like a noise mine will occasionally make if I slam it wide open too hard, and this noise also will happen even if all the pickups are off.

Comment

I checked the midboost pot, it says A-50K, which I assume means audio. It's also longer than the other two pots. I'm thinking a replacement at some time?

Comment

The pot attached to the board itself is the volume pot, which should be A-50K. The midboost control pot is the third one, the one closest to the lower bout of the guitar, and it should be stamped B-50K. If the third pot is stamped A-50K, you're probably right that it has been replaced. Not sure if that in & of itself would account for the noise, but it's a starting point.

Comment

The midboost is def initely stamped A50k. I've checked some photos of other M4s and I believe this is a replacement. I'm going to order another and start there.

Comment

Cool. Hope it solves the problem & the board itself is OK!

Comment

Working...
            X