need parts for my JT6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need parts for my JT6

I need some staddle lock screws for one of my JT6s. I think that is what you call them. Its the long screw that goes into the back of the trem and locks the trem in place. Fretsonthenet no longer carries them so I need other suggestions. I NEED 3 but would like to get some spares

Thanks!!

I had the same problem a few years back. The heads on mine were stripped. I ended up finding some bolts at a local home center that did the job. Not pretty, mind you, but they do work and the big hex head makes tightening the saddle block on the string quite easy. They're listed as "Metric Hex Bolt 4mm 7x50mm". The 50mm is the length, which equates to 2 inches. They kind of give her a frankenstrat look, but she's still playable and sounds good. Just thought this might help....

Comment

A couple of years back, I went to a company called Nordic Fasteners in my search for replacement locking bolts for my JT-6. They came up with the bolt shown below.

It's 35mm long compared to the original 40mm.
      It has no head, but an Allen wrench fits inside. Can't remember its size.
      It has the same thread (metric, M?) as the original.
      It works!

This is just to give you some hope, that they are out there somewhere. (I'm in Denmark).

This is the original and the new one, side by side:

Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 10-04-2008, 07:30 PM.
        Just a guitar player...

Comment

Just cut a slot in the head and use a flat screwdriver.Works like a charm.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

thanks all! Hmm, what to use to cut a slot??

Comment

Hacksaw? Dremel tool? Hungry beaver?

Comment

My Main Rig:
                '87 Charvel Model 4A
                Peavey KB100 amp
                Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
                '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
                '05 Ibanez RG320FM
                '86 Ovation Pinnacle
                '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
                '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

Dremel tool.Use a cut off wheel.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I need the same part because one of the bolts in mine is stripped on the head. I have to use scissors to loosen it.
                    My Main Rig:
                    '87 Charvel Model 4A
                    Peavey KB100 amp
                    Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
                    '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
                    '05 Ibanez RG320FM
                    '86 Ovation Pinnacle
                    '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
                    '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

need parts for my JT6

> I'll tell you what I'll do for people that want them. My Model 5 has a JT-6,so I'll scope it out in the next few days and figure out what lengths they need to be,and try to get some. I even have a small machine lathe I can use and cut that taper on the end,or I can file it that way,it looks like a 60 degree point though. Most real-deal machine shops would want 40 bucks a pop to make these from scratch out of say stainless or a tool steel. That prices them out of everyone's range,when it's easier/cheaper to take standard Metric cap screws and mod them. If I currently had access to the right equipment,I'd bet my lungs I could make these though. Would 2-3 bucks a piece be unreasonable? Tommy D.
                      "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by TommyD View Post
                        Would 2-3 bucks a piece be unreasonable? Tommy D.
                        Yes, for you it would.

For us, it would be a very cool price
                        Henrik
                        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Hi guys.

I've been checking out this forum for quite a while now. I've learned some and laughed a bit but never really had anything to add......until now.

That's a tricky screw size to find. The length is easy enough but not fully threaded, nor with the taper or small diameter head (M4 cap screws typically have a 7mm dia. head while the JT6 screws have a 5mm dia. head).

The better news is that I own one of those "real deal" machine shops and it would be my pleasure to run a batch.

If there's enough interest I think I can produce them exactly in stainless steel except with a hex key size of 3mm instead of 2.5 like on the existing ones. TommyD is right that these would normally cost an arm and a leg but I do a lot of discount stuff in areas that I enjoy. I think if there's enough interest I can make a "forum special" price of around $25/set of 6, with a 3mm hex key included.

If there's enough (or any) interest I'll post a new thread with a proper introduction and details. Let me know.

Comment

This would be great!! Fretsonthenet used to make them but discontinued them a couple of years ago.
                            I would definately pop for a set of 6 and maybe even buy a spare. Thats the prob I had was finding the correct hex key and using a smaller key rounded out my hole. I appreciated the dremel idea, but unfortunately, I dont have one. So, either way , Im out of pocket.

Ive gone to hardware stores galore and no one can match these screws.. So, there is a niche to be filled.

Let me know how to order!

Comment

Great Idea EyeBall... I am sure you could sell Frets on the net some as well... i have a couple of spare JT6's I bought off of EBay a few years back.. They are on there now and again w/ a good price..

Comment

Working...
                              X