History of Charvel cases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of Charvel cases?

Were the tweed and chainsaw cases during the same time period? Which guitars came with what? I have one of each, and while the tweed has the vibe goin on, it doesn't seem near as strong as a typical Fender G&G tweed case. However the chainsaws seem to have latch issues. My chainsaw is actually a Jackson molded case, not Charvel, but looks the same (with good latches).
    Last edited by Demp; 04-09-2007, 05:52 PM.

Seems like the tweed cases were earlier, more common with the '86 guitars, then the chainsaw cases became more prevalent from '87 on. Like everything else with these guitars, there are plenty of exceptions to the general rule though. I like the chainsaw cases, but I've been very lucky that all of mine are in great shape with good latches.

Comment

Who manufactured the Charvel chainsaw hardshell cases? I am assuming SKB as they were the ones that revolutionized the plastix molded cases back then. Why were some in grey and then black? Year specific?

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
        Seems like the tweed cases were earlier, more common with the '86 guitars, then the chainsaw cases became more prevalent from '87 on. Like everything else with these guitars, there are plenty of exceptions to the general rule though. I like the chainsaw cases, but I've been very lucky that all of mine are in great shape with good latches.
        that is correct from my experience, except I like the tweed cases much better. that's what came with my 86 m2, and they last if you treat them well.
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Semi-educated guess...

Yeah, my experience is similar (with the usual exeptions):
          1986 - Tweed
          1987, 1988 - Silver chainsaw with "guitar" charvel logo
          1989 - ? - Black chainsaw with "toothpaste" charvel logo
          The case logos seem to follow the headstock logos.

Most chainsaws seem to be made by SKB although I have seen others (check the name on the latches that are left LOL!). Also, a quick call to SKB Customer service can get you FREE airline latches shipped to your door - there are some restrictions, but they've helped me repair 4 cases to date for free. Check out their website for part numbers of what you need 'cause the CS guy doesn't know what "a chainsaw case for my '87 Model 4" is LOL!

Mark
          "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

Originally posted by msaint65 View Post
            Yeah, my experience is similar (with the usual exeptions):
            1986 - Tweed
            1987, 1988 - Silver chainsaw with "guitar" charvel logo
            1989 - ? - Black chainsaw with "toothpaste" charvel logo
            The case logos seem to follow the headstock logos.

Most chainsaws seem to be made by SKB although I have seen others (check the name on the latches that are left LOL!). Also, a quick call to SKB Customer service can get you FREE airline latches shipped to your door - there are some restrictions, but they've helped me repair 4 cases to date for free. Check out their website for part numbers of what you need 'cause the CS guy doesn't know what "a chainsaw case for my '87 Model 4" is LOL!

Mark

That's good to know, Thanks..

Comment

Got an 87 Model 2 in a Black Harshell case. I am assuming this is the original case but can't be sure. It is in great shape and all latches work fine.

Comment

Oh and yes it is an original Charvel chainsaw case.

Comment

Who made the tweed cases for Charvel?

Comment

Tweed cases came first, they were horribly expensive and didn't sell well.
                    Grey Chainsaw.
                    Black Chainsaw.
                    Black SKB with the round CJ logo.
                    Various G&G.
                    G&G with embroidered inside. I think these are the nicest looking.

Is there a new SKB molded with a Charvel logo, or are they all Jackson logo'd?
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I have 6 pro mod wild cards that 5 of came with skb cases and are branded with a Charvel logo, 1 came with Charvel logo gig bag.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                        Is there a new SKB molded with a Charvel logo, or are they all Jackson logo'd?
                        My 2011 Japanese Charvel So-Cal came with a Charvel-branded SKB case. http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/149...l-in-candy-red

Comment

The Model 5 that I recenly bought came with a grey "guitar logo" chainsaw and its an 86' with the Kahler.
                          Last edited by DK2M92; 08-24-2016, 12:17 PM.
                          Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

My 87 model 4 came in a charvel branded tweed case

Comment

Working...
                            X