Help me identify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me identify

I was at a local guitar store today and I saw an old used Charvel strat.

I'll try to describe it as best I can and hopefully you can help me identify it.

It was black with a strat body and had one humbucker (the pup was changed to a duncan) it had a kahler fulcrum tremelo. It had a bolt on maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. It had the jackson pointy headstock too. It had the gold charvel logo that is shaped like a guitar. It wa $375 the tag said it was a Model 1, I assume it was a japanese model. So if anyone has anymore information on this guitar that would be helpful.

I'd like to know the body wood especially.

Model 2.

Comment

A gold logo with a Kahler it likely would be a USA Charvel from around the mid 80's. If it was a white logo, then it would be MIJ with a fort worth TX plate. Body was poplar I believe. A gold logo should have a San Dimas plate.
      If its a gold logo it could be an applied decal..if it also has a San Dimas plate.. snag it. The plate alone is worth about that not to mention the other parts.

Comment

Wow, Now I'm wondering if I'm remembering things wrong! Hopefully not though. I'm gonna try to go and get another look at it soon.

Did the fulcrum Kahlers come stock on Charvels? The kahler on the guitar was different, it didn't look like the "cam" type, it appeared to pivot on two studs, like a floyd. Also the hole for the trem bar was on the side, like a floyd, not between two strings.

Comment

The '86 MIJ models came with a 'flyer pro' cam type. After that, Kahlers were not offered on MIJ models.
          No 'white guitar logo' (what we call 'model Charvels') came stock with the two point Spyder style.
          Model 1's came stock with a V type trem. If you seek the link to the photo gallery at the top of the main page..the charvel 'strat style' section should have a good deal of MIJ examples at the bottom of the scroll down.

Comment

Well, the 86 model 2 and 3 used the kahler fulcrum as described by the OP. I suspect that its just a model 2 with a yellowed white logo.

Last edited by Carbuff; 04-18-2007, 10:38 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking it might not have had a gold logo now. It looked just like that catolague scan, just black. All charvels are pretty good though right? It still sounds like a pretty cool guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
                If it was a white logo, then it would be MIJ with a fort worth TX plate. Body was poplar I believe.
                Bolt-on Model series bodies were basswood. The neck-thrus were poplar.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by budgetminded View Post
                  I'm thinking it might not have had a gold logo now. It looked just like that catolague scan, just black. All charvels are pretty good though right? It still sounds like a pretty cool guitar.
                  So, if it is a model 2 with a kahler, Id say $375 is steep. Personally, I wouldnt go more than $250 for that and it would have to be pretty clean. And, yeah, its basswood.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                    So, if it is a model 2 with a kahler, Id say $375 is steep. Personally, I wouldnt go more than $250 for that and it would have to be pretty clean. And, yeah, its basswood.
                    true. try to get it for $300 or less.

the 1986 models had the Kahler fulcrum, not a bad trem, but not the best either. if you don't do Vai dives on it, it's fine. I now don't really use mine, I'm not much of a trem player these days.

they are GREAT guitars. every time I play mine I marvel at how great it feels and sounds. you cannot go wrong with a good Model 2.
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Thanks.. I forgot the basswood. I'm fired.

Comment

Working...
                      X