Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how do the import Charvels feel compared to an Ibanez RG or old Kramer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just my 2 cents...but i currently own a japanese-made '88-'89 charvel model 3dr with a JT-6 tremolo and a korean-made '03 ibanez rg320fm with ibanez low-profile edge tremolo and in my opinion each guitar is great in it's own right. the main difference to me as far as playability goes, is the string spacing. the ibanez is wider and has a different feel to it. the charvel is a bit narrower and in my opinion feels more natural to play. the necks are very similar in thickness, and feel very comfortable...but it's the string spacing that seems to dictate the overall playability for me.

personally i prefer the JT-6 tremolo to the ibanez edge (both are floyd-licensed i believe)...although it is near impossible to find replacement parts for the JT-6.

and both guitars came with inferior stock pickups in my opinion...i've replaced them on both guitars.

overall both guitars have decent quality and workmanship, but i still prefer the charvel mainly because of the closer string spacing.

mateo

Comment

I find my Charvel (375 deluxe) more easy to play than my Kramer, because of the flatter/thinner neck.
      But my Kramer is a very early one, with the beak headstock, and i think the later ones have slightly more "Charvel like" necks?
      Quality wise the old Charvels are amazing, so no ploblem there, worth every penny, and as you say, look at what 500$ get's you new, i would take a model 5 over ANY new guitar in the same price range, just a new Kahler bride is over 300$.

Comment

Originally posted by NEWYEARKID View Post
        Once you get past the poor tremolo systems(JT-590..etc)..They rock.

You call the JT-590 a poor tremolo system?
        I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Mateo, thanks. I didn't know about the nut width. I believe the Wizard neck is 43 mm wide. I wonder if the Charvels are 42?

rocksoldier, I have heard that earlier Kramer necks are thicker...I've also heard that they had so many mfr's supply their necks that specs were never consistent (thickness, radius, etc).

Comment

Why does everyone think the stock pickups are inferior?Give ma a J90c or J-95 anyday. Hell any J series Jackson pickup kicks ass.Its called tweaking get out your screwdrivers and experiment.My 91 Ibanez 570 FM sounded like ass when I got it but a little adjustment to the pickups (V1 S1 V2) and it sounds great.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoder View Post
              Mateo, thanks. I didn't know about the nut width. I believe the Wizard neck is 43 mm wide. I wonder if the Charvels are 42?

rocksoldier, I have heard that earlier Kramer necks are thicker...I've also heard that they had so many mfr's supply their necks that specs were never consistent (thickness, radius, etc).
              I have owned Kramers for over 20 years. Their necks do vary. I had 4 at the same time and each neck was different.

The R5 83' Pacer neck is my favorite. Not thin by any stretch but it just feels right. Rumor has it that the R5 beaks are the only all USA Kramer guitars.

It comes down to your going to have to have the guitar in your hand to determine if it is right for you. Buy the ones you like, keep the ones that fit. I only have 2 Kramers left. The others didn't fit.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                Why does everyone think the stock pickups are inferior?Give ma a J90c or J-95 anyday. Hell any J series Jackson pickup kicks ass.Its called tweaking get out your screwdrivers and experiment.My 91 Ibanez 570 FM sounded like ass when I got it but a little adjustment to the pickups (V1 S1 V2) and it sounds great.
                straycat, in my opinion the stock pickups on my guitars don't have as much gain as i'd like them to have and yes, i have adjusted them (with a screwdriver) and they still lack the sound i like. so maybe saying they are 'inferior' was incorrect, but not quite as hot as i like my pickups to be....and again..this is just my personal opinion.

mateo

Comment

ColoBaretta, those are sweet Kramers! Are they all USAs? Tell me about the second one up from the botoom. That guitar is perfect...maple fretboard, pointy head, and double hums. Does it have the later smaller body or the curvaceous one like the 83 Pacer in your pic?

I'm definitely open to buying and trying till I get something that feels right...the wife...not so much...

Comment

A hotter pickup isn't always the better sounding pickup.Lots of difference in amps too as far as gain.It all depends on the guitar to what sounds good pickup wise.My Fave pickup combination is a matched set of Duncan distortions but my fave guitar is mahogony and they just don't work well in that guitar.The Jackson J-50 N&B absolutly sound thunderous.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoder View Post
                      ColoBaretta, those are sweet Kramers! Are they all USAs? Tell me about the second one up from the botoom. That guitar is perfect...maple fretboard, pointy head, and double hums. Does it have the later smaller body or the curvaceous one like the 83 Pacer in your pic?

I'm definitely open to buying and trying till I get something that feels right...the wife...not so much...

Yoder, That's a 86' Pacer Imperial. The bode shape is real similiar to the 83'. The neck just didn't fit me. Just not into R2's anymore.
                      Tim

Comment

I have owned a few Ibanez's and ESP's, including signature series and just bought my first Jackson. WOW. I have a Professional Series, I guess it's a midrange Jackson, but the schaller Trem and the radius of the neck are killer. My comfort zone for speed,right handed hammer'ons and pinch harmonics is so much more instinctive and comfortable with this neck. I am never buying anything else.

Comment

Cool! Good to hear and congratulations on your Jackson!

Comment

Yeah, the new "Pro series", not the Professionals from the early 90s, feel absolutely awesome (not to say the older Professional series are bad), they just are damn near perfect,
                            now only If I could have a DK2 with a mahogany body...
                            Out Of Ideas

Comment

Well Frigo get a 93-94 fusion H-H those have a mahogony body.That is if you are comfy with a 24 3/4 scale length.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                                Well Frigo get a 93-94 fusion H-H those have a mahogony body.That is if you are comfy with a 24 3/4 scale length.
                                I've been thinking long and hard about one,

I also love the Les Paul/Gibson scale (24.75)

I'll keep on the look out since I'm selling off some other guitars this year, because I found out I love Mahogany!
                                Out Of Ideas

Comment

Working...
                                X