Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how do the import Charvels feel compared to an Ibanez RG or old Kramer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what my model 4 is, 24.75". I actually prefer 25.5", but it's a Charvel, so it makes up for it.
    My Main Rig:
    '87 Charvel Model 4A
    Peavey KB100 amp
    Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
    '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    '05 Ibanez RG320FM
    '86 Ovation Pinnacle
    '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
    '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      That's what my model 4 is, 24.75". I actually prefer 25.5", but it's a Charvel, so it makes up for it.
      Eeeehhhh?????

And here I always lived under the assumption that M4s were 25.5"???

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
        Eeeehhhh?????

And here I always lived under the assumption that M4s were 25.5"???
        +1, I was thinking that was a little strange...

Lets hope some body shows up who can enlighten us all
        Out Of Ideas

Comment

M4 si, ist und strat scalem.

Comment

I have 2 Kramers, one is a 1 piece neck and the other is a 3 piece. I like the 1 piece better, it's a more comfortable profile despite them being the same nut width.

I also have an RG750 with the Wizard profile, it is hugely different in feel than the Kramers.

I've had a couple of Charvel necks pass through my hands and they have been different from everything else. Very comfy for the most part.

Good luck in your search!

Comment

Originally posted by pinto79 View Post
              I have 2 Kramers, one is a 1 piece neck and the other is a 3 piece. I like the 1 piece better, it's a more comfortable profile despite them being the same nut width.

I also have an RG750 with the Wizard profile, it is hugely different in feel than the Kramers.

I've had a couple of Charvel necks pass through my hands and they have been different from everything else. Very comfy for the most part.

Good luck in your search!
              I also have a 3 piece and A one Piece, I cant really judge the difference though, since one has an R5 and the other an R2
              Out Of Ideas

Comment

So much good information in this thread so far but I thought that I should address this:
                Originally posted by Yoder View Post
                rocksoldier, I have heard that earlier Kramer necks are thicker...I've also heard that they had so many mfr's supply their necks that specs were never consistent (thickness, radius, etc).
                Definitely the Kramer necks are thicker that the Charvel necks. By how much depends upon which of the many suppliers (like you mentioned). Some of the necks were made by Larrivee in Vancouver (thin and really nice yet with some radius-not really flat like Charvel is known for), LaSiDo made some necks (Godin is the guy responsible for this...a very competant builder and rumoured to have built some parts for Charvel as well), and of course ESP made many of the necks. I was privy to a conversation in which an Ibanez guru claimed that one of my Kramers was built by Ibanez as he recognized the Ibanez tooling. This one has a very thin and flat neck. It feels like an RG550 to me. So yes, many options available for Kramer necks...likely 5 or 6 different feels I'd guess. Try it if you can first but if it is a good price buy it regardless and if it isn't quite right for you they aren't hard to get rid of and they are consistently nice even if not the perfect feel for an individual.
                As for more general things regarding the Ibanez RG550, Kramer or Charvel, I find that the RG550 models are exceedingly difficult to find for sale that aren't beaten or at least well worn. The Charvels and Kramers are easier to find in decent to excellent condition so if the big wide flat fingerboard is your thing then Charvel is your likely choice. If you want a Floyd Rose and Seymour Duncan pickups then Kramer may be the way to go. By the way, the Kramer Focus line is full of great guitars too...Japanese ESP...for a couple hundred bucks...
                My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  Well Frigo get a 93-94 fusion H-H those have a mahogony body.That is if you are comfy with a 24 3/4 scale length.
                  That's the one I want next.
                  My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Working...
                  X