Found a model 4, good deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a model 4, good deal?

I came accross a Charvel model 4 on an auction site today.
    The seller is asking 385€, original case included. Since I'm in the market for an 80's Charvel or Kramer I'd like to know if this is a good deal or not.

Also, what kind of trem does it have and if it's licensed is it possible to swap it for an original Floyd Rose?

Here is a link with a pic
    Osta, myy ja huutokauppaa tavarasi helposti Huuto.netissä! Osta vaikka sohva, lastenrattaat tai älypuhelin ja luo oma ilmoituksesi nopeasti.

The price is decent for being northern Europe.

That guitar had a Jackson JT-6 trem originally. It's hard to tell from the picture what is on it now, but yes - you can replace it with an OFR without too much difficulty.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure how rare these guitars are over here so I have to do a bit of research before I jump on it.

I must say though that I'm tempted, as I have the cash and I really dig the look of it.

Comment

Need more info?

The original trem leaves a lot to wish for, IMO.
        The body is a full-size strat in basswood.
        If the pickups are original, they are a J-50BC humbucker, and two J-200 stacked hums. There is also an onboard JE-1200 midboost preamp.

Comment

Dunno about N.Europe prices, but one went recently on eBay in the UK for 221 UK pounds, which was an absolute bargain IMHO.

I've owned a Model 4 for nearly 20 years:

h
          Still reckon it's a great guitar - the trem's not as good as a proper Floyd, but I don't find it a problem. Wonderful clean sound with the bolt-on neck. and the neck is sooooo good, makes my Gibsons feel like tree trunks.

Comment

model 6

What I'd really want is a model 6 so I'm on the fence about this one. I seem to remember seeing a guitar like this a while back in a local shop so odds are that the model 4's are not all that difficult to find.

If I were to buy this one I'd probably get an OFR and possibly new pups, as I've heard that they aren't all that great with heavy distortion. So I'd have to factor in the cost of that as well here.

Comment

Yes, if you want to play with a lot of gain, the J-50BC will not be sufficient on its own. You'd definitely need a gain booster.

In my opinion, a model 6 (or better yet, a 650XL) would be worth waiting for. Unless you're after a full-size strat (the Model 6 body is dinky sized).

Comment

Model 6's seem to be more rare but from what I hear they are good guitars. I doubt the dinky body shape would be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                X