Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey all! First time Charvel owner. Come see my new guitar :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey all! First time Charvel owner. Come see my new guitar :)

Hi all

New to the forum. Long time player, but first time Jackson / Charvel owner.

It’s actually a pretty funny story how I had come across this guitar. I’d put out an ad on craigslist to sell my pod xt pro, due to the fact that I recently switched to Guitar Rig 2 and Amplitube. Someone had send me an offer for a trade (the Charvel), with the lack of interest and numerous amounts of lowball offers I was getting …… I figured why not, an extra guitar can’t hurt right? And having grown up in the 80’s I’ve always wanted a Jackson …. Never did like Kramers though.

To make a long story short. Went over to the guys house, played around with it for a bit, and I was shocked with how solid the guitar was in terms of build quality. The neck is hella fast, very comparable to my jem in feel (except that its painted), but had even better upper fret access due to the neck through construction. So after some negotiating, I traded him my pod pro for the Charvel and $250 cash. I paid $700 for pod new, and I figured it was a decent deal since nowadays its impossible to find a guitar of this quality new or used …. regardless of market value for $500.

All I know about the guitar is that it’s a Charvel model 6, that was made in the 80’s overseas. After some googleing I came across this forum, and was wondering if the members can help me answer a few general and technical questions ☺ I’ve attached plenty of pics of my new guitar.

1) Can someone confirm the year of production? The serial number is 0702878.

I’m not very happy with the trem. I’ve grown pretty accustomed to the Ibanez line of Edge trems over the years. And in my opinion this is the worst lic floyd rose I have ever used in my life both design and quality wise. I know it might have to do with its age but, changing the strings was a nightmare …… nuts are stripped, plenty of chips everywhere, trem bar do not go in and stay in properly ……. and yes it is the right bar. So it’s gotta go.

2) My question is since it’s not recessed. Can I drop in a different lic floyd? Like one of the other Jackson floyds? i.e. JT 580, JT500, etc. Or even better an Ibanez Edge? Has anyone had any experience with the swap? Any particular recommendations? The thing that really scares me here is how much this thing floats, and if other floyd will be able to fit into the cavity.

Currently, there’s 1 active EMG and 2 passive stock pickups. The stock single coils are not wired. I opened the back, and the wiring was a mess. I’m usually pretty good with these things, but the 3 toggle switches confuses me along with the mess. I’m thinking about dropping in 2 EMG SA, because I want a fully functional guitar. But this mess really scares me. Who ever did this job, did not know how to use an iron or cut wires! See pics:

Does any one know where I can find a wiring diagram for this guitar?

I’m thinking about tearing everything out, and starting fresh. Trouble shooting this mess is not my intention. I looked on the EMG website, and nothing in this combination.

Any other recommendations are welcome.

Sorry for the long read, and thanks for every ones help.

Jason

1) Can someone confirm the year of production? The serial number is 0702878.

I’m not very happy with the trem. I’ve grown pretty accustomed to the Ibanez line of Edge trems over the years. And in my opinion this is the worst lic floyd rose I have ever used in my life both design and quality wise. I know it might have to do with its age but, changing the strings was a nightmare …… nuts are stripped, plenty of chips everywhere, trem bar do not go in and stay in properly ……. and yes it is the right bar. So it’s gotta go.

2) My question is since it’s not recessed. Can I drop in a different lic floyd? Like one of the other Jackson floyds? i.e. JT 580, JT500, etc. Or even better an Ibanez Edge? Has anyone had any experience with the swap? Any particular recommendations? The thing that really scares me here is how much this thing floats, and if other floyd will be able to fit into the cavity.

Currently, there’s 1 active EMG and 2 passive stock pickups. The stock single coils are not wired. I opened the back, and the wiring was a mess. I’m usually pretty good with these things, but the 3 toggle switches confuses me along with the mess. I’m thinking about dropping in 2 EMG SA, because I want a fully functional guitar. But this mess really scares me. Who ever did this job, did not know how to use an iron or cut wires! See pics:

Does any one know where I can find a wiring diagram for this guitar?

I’m thinking about tearing everything out, and starting fresh. Trouble shooting this mess is not my intention. I looked on the EMG website, and nothing in this combination.

Any other recommendations are welcome.

Sorry for the long read, and thanks for every ones help.

Jason

Welcome, Jason. That's a 1987 Charvel Model 6, made in Japan. They are great guitars! First digit in ser# should be a C. Here's a catalog from that era:

I don't recall offhand which system was in that model, but you can find what was likely the stock wiring here:

The search function is a great tool, also look around in the Tech Q & A and Import Charvel forums. There have been many threads about replacing JT-6 trems also.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

welcome to the forum, Jason

That serial should probably be "C702878", which would make it an '87 model. As you have already determined, it's a Model 6, made in Japan.

The well-maintained JT-6 isn't a bad trem, but yours looks worse for wear. There is a thread in the Tech section with all sorts of info on trem swaps and such. As long as long you make sure the trem has the longer block (to suit the non-recessed), you can drop just about anything in there. I'm not sure about the Ibanez trem though - aren't the posts spaced differently?

Wiring diagrams are available here: http://www.jcfonline.com/resources/J...ual/index.html
      Hail yesterday

Comment

beaten by the Roninator
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Cool M6 and a nice introduction! Welcome to the forum Jason! Wouldn't mind owning a Model 6 myself.

Comment

Welcome to the JCF!

I have an OFR in my Model 6. It will fit without modifications to the body, if you use the existing trem posts. If you want to replace the posts as well, you will probably have to dowel and drill, since the JT-6 bushings are so huge. I'm sure an Edge trem will fit as long as the trem posts are sorted. Like comrade VitG already mentioned; just make sure that you can get the new trem with a long sustain block (42 mm). The only other mod you may want to consider, is to convert the neck to take a proper Floyd nut.

Just don't buy a cheapo trem. That guitar is good enough to warrant a high quality unit.

Your guitar originally came with a Jackson J-50BC passive humbucker, and a JE-1200 active mid boost circuit. I personally never cared much for either. The "singlecoils" are Jackson J-200 stacked humbuckers, and they aren't all that thrilling. They need the JE-1200 to work properly anyway. I would consider EMGs a significant upgrade, even though I generally prefer passive pickups.

Comment

Thanks for the kind replies guys

I was able to get a wiring diagram from EMG tech support. I may swap the the EMG SA's out from my strat this weekend.

The original floyd, I'm having a hard time finding on ebay and didn't think was going to be so expensive. Will I be okay with another Jackson bridge? I saw plenty of JT 500's and JT 580's on ebay. I don't know. Call me cheap but, I'm just not too crazy about putting a $200 bridge on a $400 guitar ...lol.

In the mean time, I'll keep seaching this forum for answers.

Cheers

Jason

Comment

Very nice, great success!

Awesome guitar. A Floyd and a little wiring cleanup and this thing will eat most new guitars alive.

And sorry, but I couldn't resist using Borat for my reply...

Comment

I'll second what Sunbane said. It's a really good guitar, I personally wouldn't replace the original trem with anything substandard. A Model 6 wasn't exactly a $400 fiddle from the factory, you know? It was the flagship of the Model line and hell, I'd slap an OFR on a damn Model 2 anyday.

Comment

I have a Gotoh on my Model 6, and I think it's a great trem. The Schallers look awesome as well. Just got my very first JT590 recently. Can't see a problem with using either a Schaller or Gotoh over an OFR.
                    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Do NOT buy a JT500 or a JT580 trem. Compared to the guitar, those are junk, and a waste of money IMO. In case money is tight, I'd personally rather just keep the JT-6.

Comment

Definitely worth it to put a real Floyd on there. Otherwise, the best Jackson trem would be the JT-590, which is basically a Schaller floyd. Keep an eye out. They can be had for under $100, sometimes under $75 if you're lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                          Do NOT buy a JT500 or a JT580 trem. Compared to the guitar, those are junk, and a waste of money IMO. In case money is tight, I'd personally rather just keep the JT-6.
                          I was really hoping you didn't say that, because thats mainly what I was looking at. lol

Well, I guess I'm left without a lot of options.

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Guess I'm left with only 2 wise options. The JT590 or an original.

I would really like to put in an Ibanez edge, but looking at the ones on my jem and RG I don't think the height of trem block is long enough.

Comment

I'm not up on Ibanez parts, but you may be able to swap out the block. There's a 41mm block listed here, so that might be an option:

Comment

Working...
                              X