Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey all! First time Charvel owner. Come see my new guitar :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey what do people think about Gotoh's?

I found this on ebay, and its the only one that I have come acrss with with a 42mm block.

Comment

I haven't played one, but I trust Sanctuary's judgement, and i've heard mostly good things about them. Also, they have the advantage over the JT-590 of being new. You never know what's going to show up when you buy a 15-year-old trem (or more) off of eBay. Here's a recent thread about them:

Comment

2 things.

Did they rip out the mid-boost board? I have the exact same setup on my Model 6 and there is alot more wiring and a circuit board in there.

Also, the JT-6 is not a bad trem. There are better ones, but I think the faults with yours has more to do with previous owner beating the hell out of it(probably the one who hacked the wiring), than with the trem itself. The trem arm not staying right would probably be because if I had to guess, the plastic bushings are missing on the arm. I have an old Ibanez RG560 and they don't use them so you might not have noticed that they are missing.

Search around, you might be able to get spare parts to fix it up alot cheaper than going out and buying a new trem and trying to fit it in.
        My gear
        87 Charvel Model 6
        86 Charvel Model 4
        93 Jackson RR EX
        93 Jackson Kelly STD
        88 Ibanez RG560
        99 Schecter Diamond C-7
        Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

I guess the previous owner ripped it out. I looked at the emg wiring diagram and it wasn't too complicated. Just gotta find my soildering iron.

I really have a pet peeve against the trem. Plus the nuts are stripped, the inserts are shot, and the whammy .... I still haven't figured out the problem. The white plastic rings you we're talking about are still there.

I'm gonna take everyones advice and go for something decent, instead of going cheap.

Thanks again

Originally posted by Glave View Post
          2 things.

Did they rip out the mid-boost board? I have the exact same setup on my Model 6 and there is alot more wiring and a circuit board in there.

Also, the JT-6 is not a bad trem. There are better ones, but I think the faults with yours has more to do with previous owner beating the hell out of it(probably the one who hacked the wiring), than with the trem itself. The trem arm not staying right would probably be because if I had to guess, the plastic bushings are missing on the arm. I have an old Ibanez RG560 and they don't use them so you might not have noticed that they are missing.

Search around, you might be able to get spare parts to fix it up alot cheaper than going out and buying a new trem and trying to fit it in.

Comment

Sweet! Same color as my Model 4!
            My Main Rig:
            '87 Charvel Model 4A
            Peavey KB100 amp
            Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
            '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
            '05 Ibanez RG320FM
            '86 Ovation Pinnacle
            '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
            '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

In your position, think I would give the Gotoh Floyd a shot. It is noticably cheaper than OFR and Schaller, but Gotoh has always been known to make high quality stuff, and I have heard many positive reviews over their Floyd.

Comment

An Edge has the same post spacing and would be a drop in if you can get a long block from one of the early ones. (PM Me, I might have a spare)

The Gotoh would be a good one too if you don't want to spend the $$ on an OFR.

Comment

Welcome, Jason Your pics are a prime example to not use a neutron camera. An eye can't see that crusty shit. :ROTF: :ROTF:
                  I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Where can you find a Gotoh or Ping new in black? I only see Chrome for both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson-Charvel View Post
                      Where can you find a Gotoh or Ping new in black? I only see Chrome for both of them.
                      This is the one I bought.

Comment

You can use the original locking nut no need to change that.Hell If I'd seen your post sooner I could have hooked you up with a JT-6.
                        OFR,Schaller will drop right in but use the JT-6 studs they work just fine.Saves you from having to plug and redrill new holes for the smaller stud anchors.
                        I would gut the electronics and go all new thats a fine guitar and deserves the right stuff.
                        Edge trems are fine but look like shit in a Charvel or Jackson JMO.The model six is a non recessed trem guitar so you will need a 42mm sustain block.
                        Last edited by straycat; 05-13-2007, 10:59 PM.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                          You can use the original locking nut no need to change that.Hell If I'd seen your post sooner I could have hooked you up with a JT-6.
                          OFR,Schaller will drop right in but use the JT-6 studs they work just fine.Saves you from having to plug and redrill new holes for the smaller stud anchors.
                          I would gut the electronics and go all new thats a fine guitar and deserves the right stuff.
                          Edge trems are fine but look like shit in a Charvel or Jackson JMO.The model six is a non recessed trem guitar so you will need a 42mm sustain block.
                          Thanks. I'm gonna gut out all the electronics once my emg's arrive. It will come with new pots, jack, battery clip-, etc .... so I don't see a problem with that.

I really wanted to drop in an edge, but didn't want to bother finding the right block and worry about it. So I settled for a gotoh, its pretty similar to the old school edge except the fine tuners are angled. I played one on a peavey, and it felt pretty smooth and soft.

Comment

Working...
                          X