Model 4 realization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 4 realization

I wanted a model 4 back when I was 15, but i couldn't afford one. Instead, I got a 375. My friend had an ibanez 570 and I thought it was the cat's ass.

Over the years I've owned very few guitars and bought a Model 4 a few months ago. I always thought the Ibanez Rg's were very cool looking and I love the thin necks. I recently picked up an RG 565 with a paf pro in the bridge.

I've been playing the Ibanez a lot lately and enjoy the fast, thin neck and the Edge trem. I think it sounds pretty good too. Today, I plugged in the neglected (and for sale-this may change) Charvel model 4. While the neck is not as fast, it really does sound a lot better (much thicker and chunkier). Maybe it's the PAF pro in the ibanez, but it sounds pretty tinny compared to the Model 4. I think the build quality of the model 4 is a lot better as well. I don't dig the Kahler so much, but the model 4 is a great guitar. You guys already know all of this, but the model 4 really is a classic, and i'm really appreciating it. I wouldn't mind having one with a different bridge and maple board

my $.02

I got the maple board, love the 4!
    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Picked mine up about 4 months ago. Has to be one of Jacksons/Charvels best bang for your buck guitars. Built like a tank.
      Tim

Comment

Originally posted by ColoBaretta View Post
        Picked mine up about 4 months ago. Has to be one of Jacksons/Charvels best bang for your buck guitars.

Explain the price on this Model 4, I'm clueless... If I were to sell my Model 4 which is in exc shape I'd be lucky to score $225. What makes this guys Model 4 worth $750 more than mine? What's the secret of these guys pulling in big cash on guitars, I am never this lucky. When I try to list stuff on Ebay I get pissed and start berating the bidders.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson-Charvel View Post
          http://cgi.ebay.com/Mint-Charvel-Mod...QQcmdZViewItem

Explain the price on this Model 4, I'm clueless... If I were to sell my Model 4 which is in exc shape I'd be lucky to score $225. What makes this guys Model 4 worth $750 more than mine? What's the secret of these guys pulling in big cash on guitars, I am never this lucky. When I try to list stuff on Ebay I get pissed and start berating the bidders.
          My comment "great bang for your buck" was based on the usual price these go for. I payed $399 for mine and I felt good about getting it for that. I wouldn't spend $900 on a model 4 nor is this the normal price these go for. Maybe the sharkies are driving this up but regardless, way to high.

You see the same thing with model 6's. Some go fairly cheap and others are up where this one is, go figure.

Tim

Comment

Could possibly be schill bidding. Most of the bids have been by some one with between 1-9 feedback(bidder 5).

Comment

SK8,good observation....plus I am ALWAYS skeptical of auctions that have 10 bids on 'em with 7 days left...WTF is that about LOL! By and large any market will establish a "going rate" - say for a 90% Mod 4 a $325-$425 ballpark. There will always be some uneducated or "money's no object" person who will attempt to skew the curve - and those are the guitars to avoid so that the market will appreciate naturally. Natural appreciation gives anything [guitars, cars, stamps, whatever] more solid value and more resistance to market fads and potential crashes.

Mark
              "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

ColoBaretta

Forgot to mention - Tim, love your 4...maple and black is bitchin'...

Mark
                "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

I really like my Mod 4. I picked it up and expected it to go unplayed with some of the other guitars I have. However it plays so good it gets a spin pretty much ever day. It plays better than my SL2. I love the feel of it.

Comment

Love my Mod 4. When my dad passed he left me all of his guitars. This one has by far got the most playing time out of all of them. The neck is so thin and perfectly shaped for my hands. And it sounds great!
                    My Main Rig:
                    '87 Charvel Model 4A
                    Peavey KB100 amp
                    Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
                    '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
                    '05 Ibanez RG320FM
                    '86 Ovation Pinnacle
                    '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
                    '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

To those who haven't seen her:

My Main Rig:
                      '87 Charvel Model 4A
                      Peavey KB100 amp
                      Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
                      '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
                      '05 Ibanez RG320FM
                      '86 Ovation Pinnacle
                      '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
                      '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

NOTHING makes a Model 4 worth $750... Like others mentioned - shill bidding maybe, or just an EXTREMELY uneducated buyer thinking he was looking at something REALLY special. The logo throws some people off, and they hear "Ft. Worth, TX" and they get all boned-up thinking it's a USA model.

IMHO, Model 4's are the nicest of the model series since I'm not really big on painted necks. The sharks do help to drive the price up, but I'm also not a big fan of sharks unless the neck is bound. The most I'd pay for a minty Mdel 4 would be about $400, and it would have to be MINTY, all original, CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN, and the right color/layout/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoBaretta View Post
                          Picked mine up about 4 months ago. Has to be one of Jacksons/Charvels best bang for your buck guitars. Built like a tank.
                          Tim
                          Love that guitar. I should have bought it... If only it wasn't black.

Comment

Working...
                          X