another Model-series ID job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another Model-series ID job...

I was in Trondheim for the Ozzy concert yesterday, and while browsing the local guitar store I came across a used import Charvel that played really nice, and I'm wondering what it actually is!

description follows:

Made in Japan, 24-fret bolt-on maple neck with Charvel strat-like headstock, contoured neck heel (the area surrounding the neck plate had been slightly carved), maple fretboard, jumbo frets, Charvel headstock with "TM" logo, 2-hum black seymour duncan pickups mounted on black plastic pickup rings, no logo on bridge pup (bridge pup probably have been replaced at one point?) 3-way blade pickup switch, 1 vol 1 tone, some kind of standard non-locking trem with floating springs (bridge was black), neckplate had Charvel TM logo and I think the serial was 002200-something.
    it had a string tree on the headstock for the B and E strings that was not of the "round" type but looked more like a T-shape.

unsure about body wood, think it might be alder or maple.
    it had a bookmatched top that looked like maple (not flamed, the pattern went in waves/curves) with a fairly bright natural finish not unlike todays Jackson "nat" finishes. the backside of the body had a dark red/violin brown looking transparent finish.

it had quite a few dings and marks, but it played really nicely and had very good tone! that goes a long way, coming from a USA snob
    the neck was a little dirty but some soft steel wool would probably do wonders to it.

the seller at the store said they had it come in from a trade, and his guess was that it was a either a standard or a Model 1 in nat finish...
    looking at the "early model series" thread, the fact that it had TM logo on both headstock and neckplate might indicate that it is indeed a '86 or '87 Model 1, but I think the bridge might be too "alien" for that?
    didn't look like the neckplate had a gasket though, and the neck-pocket fit was very good.

so waddayathink?
    Last edited by axeman81; 06-09-2007, 12:03 PM.

Definitely not a Model Series by your description of the headstock, number of frets, etc. Here's a crappy pic of a Charvel Standard. Did it look something like this?

Comment

yes, it looks very similar apart from the finish..hard to call on the top though, that one there looks more like flame maple. the controls, bridge, and neck all look spot-on.
      How much do those go for on the bay?

Comment

did some further digging, and I do believe it is a Fulcrum tremolo. so most likely a Charvel Standard then...when were they produced? come to think of it I believe it had a solid maple neck too.

Comment

this might help for info:

Comment

Working...
          X