Hello There

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello There

Well To make a long story short,I always wanted a Charvel Model 2 since 1988.One of the guys I knew had a Burgandy Mist one,and another Friend had a Charvel Model 4.My Parents were not that rich and I ended up with a Yamaha RGX110(I miss that soo badly,many nights figuring out Death Metal/Thrash Songs)).We that brings me back to now.I STILL LOVE Yamaha Guitars,Well fast forward to now, I just Bought(Well on layaway) a Charvel Model 2 that ,,well needs some TLC. The Neck Looks good,The "Moron"before me put White house paint on it(Speaking,how can a person remove it safeley??),but AFAIK,The Body looks ok. I bought it at a Pawn Shop for( I talked him down ALOT,and I can tell ya it has been sitting there for ~ 4 -7 years) for $125!YIKES!!!! It will be playable,BUT as I said,,it needs alittle TLC.Info on the Guitar;
    "TM" on the headstock
    No Neck plate gasket
    and with a Kahler Bridge.
    I know it is a 1986(It pays to use the search feature )
    It is missing,the Truss rod cover,back Tremelo Cavity plate,needs a New 500K pot,one of the Kahler locking nut-flippy-do-dads is broke,the Kahler is in so-so condition,a Dome metal knob that doesnt fit right,and I am not sure what kinda pickup is in her.I ACTUALLY put it on Layaway for one purpose.To research to see if this is going to be a ok "project". As I see on this forum,many people are cherishing the Model 2's so I am going to just go ahead and pick it up and start working on her.I talked to a place next to my work who does body work,and they quoted me $125.00 for a new paint job and I just bought from a couple guitar shops,a REAL Charvel Knob,A Kahler nut with ALL Locking Flips intact,and a Jackson J-50BC(Hmm) all for $30.00. This is going to be a LONG project since I have to work on a TIGHT budget ( I have a Car Hobby that takes precedence) and in my spare time anymore I play The Guitars. I have a Yamaha RGX 620Z,With a SWEET Wilkinson Bridge and a few other things,My Eye Candy Yamaha RGX 420S-D6 Baritone Guitar,that I RARLEY play(It is soo beautiful) and the new player/eye candy is gonna be the Charvel.Well enough of me blabbing,Hello!
    Last edited by Dan; 12-01-2008, 06:17 AM.
    HIGHLY MODDED Peavey Ultra Plus 120
    Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
    (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
    Late 80's-early 90's Ibanez Tubescreamer
    Boss TU-2
    2005 Jackson SLSMG Soloist
    1986 Black Cherry Charvel Model 4
    1988 Blue Charvel Model 3DR

Hey there,
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

Comment

Well I JUST Realized something.The Jackson Pickup I bought I guess wont work.It is a "Active" Pickup It Figures. There was a waste of $10.00 Ohh another detail,it looks like the Screws(Studs for the Tremelo) were sometype of wood screws that were "screwed"into the metal post anchors,were the studs should be.Mainly I want it stock, No Mods EXCEPT locking Strap Buttons and thats it. So everything that is missing NEEDS to be replaced,and I guess I am going to have to get a J-90C
      Last edited by Dan; 06-27-2007, 08:32 PM.
      Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
      (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
      Boss TU-2

Comment

I bought it at a Pawn Shop for( I talked him down ALOT,and I can tell ya it has been sitting there for ~ 4 -7 years) for $125!YIKES!!!! It will be playable,BUT as I said,,it needs alittle TLC.
        Well, first off...picking up a Model series for $125 is a real good score especially if it's not trashed.

Go to our very own Budman's website http://www.fretsonthenet.net for the assorted parts/hardware you're looking for, especially truss rod cover, trem spring and cavity control covers. Budman also has assorted screws and hardware on his website. He's a straight up guy who does great work and ships damn fast!

The J-90c is a great pick-up, and they're fairly cheap and easy to pick up. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
          The J-90c is a great pick-up, and they're fairly cheap and easy to pick up. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
          +1. J90s are ripping pickups. I have one in my Squier and it screams! And welcome!

Comment

Welcome man! Budman can hook you up for sure, J90C is a good pup but a little hot for some. I have an 86 also but mine has allen screws for the lock nut, not the flip up kind. As long as the neck and frets are in good shape I think you'll be fine fixing her up!
            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Thanks For the Warm Welcome. I have spent more time on this forum recently than the Main Forum I go to From what I read,I guess I have about 97 posts to go before I am admitted into the Classifieds!! Anyone have any parts kicking around for a Model 2?? I see On Ebay they are around,But look at their prices!! There are 3 Model 2's that are getting up there!!
              Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
              (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
              Boss TU-2

Comment

First off, don't be too big of a rush to get a Model 2 "project". I see decent to mint ones on ebay going for less than $300. You might be better off getting one in good shape rather than a project, at least for your first model series.

Next, who the hell says a J50BC is an active only pickup? It sounds great by itself. It's nothing more than a hot PAF wind (8.52K I think) with a ceramic magnet. A J90C is a distortion wind (13K - 15K I think) wth a ceramic magnet.

I speak from experience. I have a J50BC in my Jackson Fusion Professional. This guitar has an active WAH circuit that can be turned on or off by a switch between the volume and tone knobs. I like the humbucker much better natural without the effect, but the singles (really stacked hums) sound muddy without the active circuit turned on.

I have a J90C in my Charvel Fusion Deluxe. Great pickup. It give me a thick "Jake E Lee" tone through my rig.

Good luck with your guitars.

Comment

Well The deal is,MY "Wife" I KNOW she wouldnt go for a Higher priced Guitar,BUT a "Project" would be ok You know $10.00 Here,$20.00 There,she may catch up,but it will be too late . I really like the sound of a "Hot" pickup.I have a Pair Of Duncan Distortions in my Yamaha Baritone. I wish I could just go out and Pick up a Mint Model 2,but I know that wont happen.
                  Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
                  (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
                  Boss TU-2

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Well I JUST Realized something.The Jackson Pickup I bought I guess wont work.It is a "Active" Pickup It Figures. There was a waste of $10.00
                    Are you sure? Have you tried it? Jackson never made any "active" pickups - they were all passive, but were often coupled with active pre amps in the guitar.

Comment

Working...
                    X