Are all Charvels good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are all Charvels good?

I'm going to San Francisco in a couple of days and I want to go to some of the big music shops there. I'm hoping to get a good guitar used guitar for not too much money. So I want to know, are all Charvels good? I do know that the charvettes are trouble, is there anything else to watch out for? Are they all good quality and generally good guitars? I can make the call myself on tone and such.

Thanks for any help

You looking for an import or a USA model?
    The USA models are damn nice, but the can be pricey... even used.
    The imports from 86 to 92 are fantastic. After that, it's hit or miss.
    The Charvettes are hit or miss as well. Some were good guitars with cheap hardware and electronics, others were plywood. I would avoid them regardless.
    To say that all of any brand of guitar is good is subjective.
    For the most part, yes, Charvels are great guitars.
    -Rick

Comment

Hit the pawnshops. In the daytime.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Scout, research, buy

If you are in that area for a few days, take a digital camera and a notepad. When you see something that catches your eye, grab a few photos and take notes of any specific information you can glean (tremolo [Official Floyd, Licensed Floyd, Wilkinson], headstock markings [Professional, Concept, Made in USA], neck [reverse], fret markings [dots, sharkfins], pickups, controls).

Then get online and compare your photos and information to the Catalog Scans that one of the awesome forum members posted.

Once you have a good idea of the year/model of the axe of choice, you can research around for expected price. Ebay history is a good way to gauge past sale price, keeping in mind that there are some tards out there (both in buyers and ignorant sellers) that will throw the typical price off.

Build your gameplan...are you looking for the bottom-dollar quality deal, or the under-priced mid-dollar scramer?

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          The imports from 86 to 92 are fantastic. After that, it's hit or miss.

I have two Charvels from that time frame and they are both AWESOME guitars. My 88 Model 2 was in mint condition when I got it last year and it still feels like it's a new guitar. I has to be one of the best playing guitars that I have ever had! You won't be disapointed.
          Guitars:
          Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
          1988 Model 2,
          Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
          RR3
          Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
          2005 SG Special

Comment

Working...
          X