Charvel Surfcaster Tremolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Surfcaster Tremolo

I've got an original Charvel Surfcaster in red (with two lipsticks and a tremolo). I love this guitar, and it's been great for the few years I've had it. Recently, the tremolo arm (sent from Charvel, so I know it's the right one) has started falling out. I've been trying to figure out what keeps it in normally, and the local repair shop wasn't able to help.

Does anyone know how the trem arm is kept in the bridge on these Surfs, and what I might do to repair this? I dig the trem on this guitar and am missing it big time.

Thanks for your help!
    James

Charvel Surfcaster (2 lipsticks and tremolo)

It might be one of those with a small hex set screw that tightens the bushing, i'm guessing, i'm sure somebody who knows for sure will be here shortly ( where are you ron)? does the arm setup look like this?
    Last edited by jacksonaxes; 07-07-2007, 11:15 PM.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

no, the heel area is more curved on the ones I've seen.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I've got an original Charvel Surfcaster in red (with two lipsticks and a tremolo). I love this guitar, and it's been great for the few years I've had it. Recently, the tremolo arm (sent from Charvel, so I know it's the right one) has started falling out. I've been trying to figure out what keeps it in normally, and the local repair shop wasn't able to help.
        That almost sounds like the threads on the inside of where you screw it in are stripped and no longer able to hold the bar in.

Comment

Actually those came with the JT490 which has a push in bar and there is a friction set screw on the side of the trem that should be able to "snug up" the bar for you. Are you possibly missing this part? Also, I've never seen the inside function of the trem socket but there should be some sort of spring loaded set up that interacts with the notch in the bar. Is this the set up you have?

Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
            Actually those came with the JT490 which has a push in bar and there is a friction set screw on the side of the trem that should be able to "snug up" the bar for you. Are you possibly missing this part? Also, I've never seen the inside function of the trem socket but there should be some sort of spring loaded set up that interacts with the notch in the bar. Is this the set up you have?

Back from the dead! FOr good reason though

I just got my first Charvel Surfcaster (1991-2, 2 lipstick pups, figured maple top in what I am told is star glo and a JT490) and I am wondering..

How do you adjust saddle height on the JT490? The action seems a little high. I assume there is a way to adjust the string action past the 12th fret on the surfcaster with the JT490?

Sorry, if I seem to have no knowledge of the bridge setup.

Before I take it apart in attempt to set it up a little better "for my comfort".. I wanted to have a general idea of what I was getting myself into with the trem system.

Cheers everyone,

TIA

P.S - As well, I just noticed in the pic above... Is there any reason that there are 2 of the allan screws missing on that bridge? High "E", "B" ...

Last but, not least... My Trem has 5 springs instead of three, I assume this is to help keep it in tune, it seems to me I read somewhere that the JT490 had probs with only 3 springs? Any thoughts?
            Last edited by JayG; 10-14-2007, 08:47 AM.

Comment

I'll tackle the action/saddle height question. It looks like this trem doesn't have individual saddle height adjustment, so you adjust the overall bridge height via the trem posts. To change individual saddle heights (if necessary), they may be able to be be shimmed. Stewmac & other suppliers carry shim material. My guess is that you should be able to get things the way you want just by adjusting the posts, since this trem was well-matched from the factory for the fretboard radius of the Surfcaster.
              Last edited by dg; 10-14-2007, 10:07 AM.

Comment

K I'll give that a shot. You say Trem posts.. Meaning the two posts in from of the bridge on the top/soundboard?

Thanks for the quick response btw. Much appreciated.

Loving the guitar so far! I'm surprised at the build quality.. I did repace the tuners though with some Gotoh SD90's. What a perfect fit, I think Gotoh may be responsible for some of the hardware on this guitar? Maybe not though.. just a guess.

Thanks again, I'll get some pics up soon.
                Last edited by JayG; 10-14-2007, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Yep, they should be able to be raised or lowered with an allen wrench. Some people debate whether or not you should make the adjustment under under string tension. Some say it's bad for the knife edges & posts. IMO, it's OK as long as you use a drop or 2 of oil, WD-40, etc.

Comment

It only took a minute to slack of the strings a few times to get the desired action. A bit of fiddling but, all good now

Thanks very much for the quick respomses and accurate info. I really like this little guitar, might end up trying to source out some more Jackson/Charvel stuff.

Since I am already bugging, does anybody know what size wrench or socket the truss rod takes? Yes she is in need of a little adjustment now that I have beyond the 12th sorted out.

Thanks again, for the help.
                    Last edited by JayG; 10-14-2007, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Jeez, I just totally lost track of this post--sorry! Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out the trem arm situation. I do have the setup described by Budman--the trem arm pushes in and has a notch on the end. I've tried adjusting the screw, but that doesn't seem to quite do the job. If there is some spring mechanism inside, that could be shot and the cause of the problems. It could very well be that there's nothing catching the notch inside.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for the feedback so far.
                      James

Charvel Surfcaster (2 lipsticks and tremolo)

Comment

Working...
                      X