Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 Project + Pics

Hello,
    Firstly, I would like to introduce myself: I was a long-time member of the old forums and have recently decided to ask for some help regarding a rather nice little project I am currently undertaking after aquiring a shiny new Charvel Model 6!

I came across this guitar when I was in Japan about three years ago and have since rekindled my interest in having it restored superior to its original glory. When I bought the guitar, it was simply a body with no hardware or electronics, but it was a neckthough guitar, and only 5,800 yen (maybe £30)...so I bought it. The design was an obvious Jackson/Charvel shape, but I thought that it was a fake of some sort as there was no logo on the headstock. When I got it home I released that the headstock had been painted black, so I sanded it down to reveal a Charvel logo!!

I have since sanded down the original red paint to the original wood and it looks great. I have also been thinking more about the guitar and why it exists like it does. I was particularly impressed with the quality of the guitar in general as it appears to be in almost perfect condition. For example, the frets look unworn and there are no scuffs or chips anywhere. I had a thought recently when I saw another forum member's post about a Model 6 he had that was a factory second. It might be that my guitar is similar and has/had a problem somewhere. There is also the number "8" written on the headstock in black marker which might indicate something. When I bought the guitar, there were three in total, another Model 6 in pink and what I think might have been a Model 5. All had similar painted headstocks and alll were cheap as anything.

So, what I wish to do is finish this guitar and make it something special. I need everything to complete the job, including a paint-job. I am looking to get the best possible guitar with the most suitable parts for it, not the original parts the came with it.
    I have some ideas which I want to use, but am mainly concerned with which pickups would offer the ideal sound and which tremelo system to use.

I used the custom shop generator to design my ideal guitar at the moment.

It would ideally have an Original Floyd Rose In gold with matching gold sperzel locking nuts and hardware, a Dimarzio X2N for the bridge and HS2 and HS3 for the single pickups. All finished in snow white except the back of the neck which I plan to leave just oiled. Also a white headstock with Charvel logo in black or gold and a small custom personal logo (perhaps).

However, if I was to use a Floyd Rose, it might be better to use a floyd rose nut also. In order to do this, the guitar would require a small wedge fitted under the nut to accomodate the larger floyd rose nut.
    In comparison, I have been looking at recent developments from Kahler and and suitably interested in those too. Using a Kahler means that I could easliy use a behind-the-nut locking nut as intended for the Model 6.
    I am hoping that somebody with experience might be able to recommend on a particular choice with this!

As for pickups, I had Dimarzio in mind, in particular the X2N. As I will be using the humbucker more than the singles, I want to make sure that I get the right pickup for the guitar and of course my sound! I play mostly heavily distorted riffing and lots of lead, with progressive and neo-classical influences. I am looking for a pickup that has lots of sustain and clear volume, but also with plenty of low end bass too. I am less concerned about the single pickups, but ideally something to compliment the bridge pickup.
    One other thing regarding pickups is that Dimarzio do not seem to have pickups that would fit in my guitar as they are not straight on both sides, but have a "wing". Is it possible to get Dimarzio's that would fit in my guitar, or some other may of making them fit?

I have a lot of things to ask and I would very much appreciate any feedback that people might be willing to offer!
    Here are some pictures of of the Model 6. The serial number is C705051 by the way.
    Thank you very much!

Thanks again, and I hope you enjoyed the pics!

WOW the body looks like a 1 piece, it's been well assembled!

This guitar had a lock behind the nut. So it had a normal nut in the first place. Try to locate the hole and do a standard nut for now. In its current state you could get away with another trem, though an OFR would fit.
    I think Kahler are still making those locks. I find them at least just as good, as you can still fine tune the nut for your setups. It's obviously harder with a locknut.

I've never tried an X2N. My favorite pickup for this kind of guitar is the Duncan Custom, but I haven't tried that many in maple neck thrus...

Comment

It looks like a 1 piece because of the veneer they put on the front and back to hide the lines.
      Look in the back of the trem spring cavity and you can see where the neck thru seem is.

I say leave the back of the neck oiled and then paint the rest white.
      Very classy.
      -Rick

Comment

Hey Majestic!

A couple of things; A model 6 is a great guitar, and definitely deserves an OFR. However, you will probably find that the bushings for the OFR are a little too small for the holes in the body - in which case you'll have to plug them and redrill.

The X2N has plenty of power, and is nice and tight in the bottom register. I had one in my own Model 6 at one point. But its tone was too mid-scooped for me. I now have a Jackson J-80C in mine, which is sort of in-between a Duncan JB and a Duncan Custom, according to people in the know. I love that pickup, although it is somewhat lacking in power. I'm planning to get a gain boost preamp too boost its output for leads.

As for the singles; I believe you can custom order them from a DiMarzio retailer without the "lip". That would probably be the safest route to go. I know that the old "lipped" Duncans could be modded to fit, but I'm not sure about the DiMarzios.

Awesome project man! Best of luck with it!

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          It looks like a 1 piece because of the veneer they put on the front and back to hide the lines.
          Look in the back of the trem spring cavity and you can see where the neck thru seem is.
          Any thoughts on why they would put a veneer on the front and back of the bodies?

AFAIK all the models were painted solid colours, so it's unnecessary in terms of appearance.

Could it have something to do with the construction?

Just found it interesting thats all .....

Comment

Nice guitar!

I put EMG's and a Gotoh floyd in mine.

Just in case you were looking for decals, heres where I got mine. It's vinyl and you could pick any combination of colour and shade imaginable.

Comment

Hi guys,
              Thanks for your input so far. The guitar is a standard neck-thru with a veneer on top and bottom. You can see quite clearly when you look at the bottom of the guitar, where the second strap button goes, but I am unsure of the purpose!?
              I definitely think I will leave the back of the neck oiled as it feels so good right now I think it would be a shame to cover up all the wood.
              As for the tremelo, I spoke to a pretty cool guy in Denmark Street in London who has the right size trem posts which will save a bit of hassle with re-drilling. He can also do the "wedge" mod for me if I choose to use an original Floyd Rose locking nut. He also has a nifty selection of logos including original Charvel ones in a selection of colours which is cool.
              Glad to hear that Dimarzio can do the lipless pickups, I wonder if any normal guitar shop would be able to get them rather than going directly to Dimarzio?

Lastly, I am pretty much ready to get this puppy going. My funds are looking ok, so I am hoping to start purchasing some hardware. I have been looking at various different online shops, predominantly ones based in the states as the prices are better than here in the UK. Can anyone recommend a store that has a full selection of hardware, pickups and all other random miscellanies such as pots, switches etc?

Any help and advice for this is still very much welcomed, and as soon as I make a decision, I will start making my purchases and keep this thread updated with my progress!

Thanks again!
              Last edited by Majestic12; 07-11-2007, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Nice Six

The easiest pickup replacement for those are EMG's, if you like them. I put an 85, SA, SA combo in mine. I also went with Shaller hardware. It was a little less. Looks like you're going for the Vai Pia version of a Charvel. A classy & elegant white look. Very nice!
                Not to be a stickler but shouldn't a Model 6 be in the USA Charvie section? No prob.. you came with pics, and pics always get a free pass. My 650XL will be leaving my stable soon. I'm trading it for a bunch of electrical work around the house, to a friend in need. He's been drooling over it for years but short on cash. Keep us updated with your pics.

Comment

Model 6 are Japanese dude, just like your 650.

Comment

If you're in London I'd go BareKnuckle all the way.
                    I used to have a Model 6 and My Luthier put on OFR in it and the Floyd locking nut.
                    No big deal, I'd go that route too (if you 're a heavy trem user)
                    Your mockup in all white looks killer (the one I had with a floyd was white as well but all the hardware was black)
                    Can't wait to see what you do with this thing
                    good luck
                    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by Majestic12 View Post
                      I wonder if any normal guitar shop would be able to get them rather than going directly to Dimarzio?
                      Yeah, as far as I know, you can't buy from DiMarzio directly - but you should be able to make a custom order through an official DiMarzio retailer.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                        The reason for the veneer has already been explained. It is to hide the seem lines when they glue blocks of wood together to form the body.

If you don't use the veneer, no matter how well you sand the down the body flat, those lines will creep back into the picture sooner or later as the wood ages. Different pieces of wood shrink and swell at different rates.

Just goes to show you the extra steps taken to make this an excellent guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                          Yeah, as far as I know, you can't buy from DiMarzio directly - but you should be able to make a custom order through an official DiMarzio retailer.
                          You can certainly buy directly from DiMarzio, but you'll pay full price instead of what you would through a dealer.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Nice project, good to see another Brit on here too.
                            www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                              The reason for the veneer has already been explained. It is to hide the seem lines when they glue blocks of wood together to form the body.

If you don't use the veneer, no matter how well you sand the down the body flat, those lines will creep back into the picture sooner or later as the wood ages. Different pieces of wood shrink and swell at different rates.

Just goes to show you the extra steps taken to make this an excellent guitar.
                              Isn't that what I said???
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X